Need help now?

Next Wednesday Wrap! Helping your teen use social media safely!

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Next Wednesday Wrap! Helping your teen use social media safely!

Prolific scribe
Chalke5

Re: Next Wednesday Wrap! Helping your teen use social media safely!

Wow that's a huge question and I guess it depends on the age of the child.  At 13 you probably have more control but this isn't always the case and as they get older parental control gets more complicated.  Companies don't have any interest other than profit so this area is probs not even discussing.  Leaving the responsibility to companies would create a different political platform.

Special Guest
LaurenPiro

There is a potential for just about any digital technology to be abused, including social media apps. In my opinion, app developers and social media sites are responsible for providing safeguards such as minumum age requirements, adjustable privacy settings and reporting functions - but those only work if they're actually used!

Super contributor
Ngaio-RO

That's very true @LaurenPiro That the tools need to be used to do what they're designed to do and I'd love to see these companies work with parents more to help them get across this stuff.

Can I ask what you think the future holds? When Millenials are parents. What will their kids be doing online?

Super star contributor
taokat

That's true @LaurenPiro. How easy is it to put in an incorrect birthdate?! 

Prolific scribe
Chalke5

Hi @LaurenPiroIt Isn't is easy for a user to use fake credentials and get around those settings?

Special Guest
LaurenPiro

I will also say that's its really difficult to stay on top of the latest apps and all their settings. I'm immersed in social media every day and even I find it a challenge! If kids are taught how to use social media safely in general, and know who they can go to for help - even if they think they've done something wrong, is really important.

Super star contributor
taokat

Awesome points @LaurenPiro. So I think it's important to teach our kids they can come to us, even if they've done the wrong thing. Building trust...

Super contributor
Ngaio-RO

So in your ideal world @LaurenPiro would you like to see EVERY company that provides a space for young people to connect online to be trained in risk management around supporting young people and have their spaces designed with quick access to help?

Would that be the best outcome?

Special Guest
LaurenPiro

Yes @Chalke5, most apps rely on user honesty. There are a couple that don't. For example, I believe in the Minecraft app there are certain features that require parental consent through credit card identification.

Special Guest
LaurenPiro

Absolutely @Ngaio-RO, and lots of companies do take that responsibility seriously. Disney sites, for example, have trained moderators and safety features to ensure the spaces are safe and appropriate for children.