Need help now?

November 15th - Wednesday Wrap - ReachOut Coaching - Part Two!

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

November 15th - Wednesday Wrap - ReachOut Coaching - Part Two!

Prolific scribe
Sophi-RO

Re: November 15th - Wednesday Wrap - ReachOut Coaching - Part Two!

So, the question was So first off, What sort of qualifications do the coaches have? What are their backgrounds etc?

So the coaches are staff of our partner organisation, The Benevolent Society. We have a team of coaches and their backgrounds vary - all of our coaches have years of experience supporting parents and teenagers and are qualified in Social Work, Psychology or Health.

Super star contributor
taokat

Hey @Sophi-RO. Yes, I'd be happy to share! 

I did the coaching earlier this year with an awesome coach! He helped me work out some strategies for a closer relationship with my daughter and ways of creating 'guidelines' and having a time each month for my little family to get together for a family meeting to connect and talk about any issues or positives we've had.

Active scribe
jphole

my 14yr old son into wearing designer clothes, he pickpocket from his dad wallet to fund it, bought second hand from school friends, but pleaded not to report his friend to school, we keep quite but not sure how to make clear to him we can't afford it, and it's wrong to pick pocket
Prolific scribe
Sophi-RO

That's great @taokat, thanks... I'm sure you had a lot of strength and positives that you were already that you were able to draw on through that process
Super star contributor
taokat

I certainly found my coach to be very experienced and with things I had no idea how to tackle, he had suggestions ready to go! I really felt like I was working with someone who really knew what he was talking about and I found it really reassuring.

Super contributor
Ngaio-RO

That's awesome. Thanks @Sophi-RO

Just continuing on that theme for a minute, I get asked a lot by parents Is it just another name for counselling?

And often what they mean is, I am already doing counselling, I don't need to see another.

Also, today I had a Dad message who was signing up for coaching and started to get concerned that he was signing up for counselling. What he wrote to me was that he didn't feel like discussing his child hood etc and wanted to see if that's what it was.

So is it just more counselling?

Prolific scribe
Sophi-RO

hmmm @jphole, I understand why you are worried - have you talked to your son about it? What is his take on whats going on for him?
Super contributor
Ngaio-RO

Message contains a hyperlink

@jphole If you click here you'll see your original post and a reply / question I've written.

The only reason we keep them separate is to stop people getting confused but please have a read and write a reply there, we can absolutely discuss both tonight in each different spot.

Active scribe
jphole

we did talk to him, and he agreed it is wrong, but I know he is still thinking about those shoes and clothes he thinks it makes him look good
Active scribe
Goleby

Hi another newbie here, how do you get access to do the reachout coaching for parents?thank you

Mariamum