Need help now?

Tonight's Wednesday Wrap - We're discussing the #MeToo movement with Ben-RO from our Youth Community

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Tonight's Wednesday Wrap - We're discussing the #MeToo movement with Ben-RO from our Youth Community

Super star contributor
taokat

Re: Tonight's Wednesday Wrap - We're discussing the #MeToo movement with Ben-RO from our Youth Commu

Wow @Ben-RO and @Ngaio-RO, I'm shocked about that hashtag!! I really didn't think it would be for men to admit their behaviour! Wow. That's blown my mind! Can't men let women have this without taking it over - particularly with men kinda being given grace for what they have done! 

Maybe it was #whatcanIchange. I saw something like it but thought it would be for men who've been assaulted. I'm with you @Ben-RO. Very bad timing!!

Prolific scribe
Ben-RO

Re: Tonight's Wednesday Wrap - We're discussing the #MeToo movement with Ben-RO from our Youth Commu

It's something that i find pretty frustrating. So many guys are missing the emotional intelligence they need to see that whole conversation as a bad idea. I think that's something that i hope changes, i wonder how we do it? How do we build some serious emotional intelligence in our young men? 

Super star contributor
taokat

I have to agree with you @Ben-RO, I think the space should be for survivors, not perpetrators. Survivors may not use the space if they are mixing with perpetrators, or it could result in conflict in the forum. 

As a survivor I think this is a very easy way for perpetrators to brag or minimise what they've done. It's a bit of a kick in the face really. 

Super contributor
Ngaio-RO

It's a really tough question @Ben-RO and I'm sure there are lots of answers.

Something I've seen that struck a chord with me is this conversation about shifting the language so it becomes 'men rape' rather than 'women are raped' that sort of thing.

Putting the emphasis back on the perpetrator is a good starting point.

What do you guys think?

And then we'll wrap up.

Highlighted
Prolific scribe
Ben-RO

Agreed, and then i just want it all to stop happening. 

Super star contributor
taokat

How do we build emotional intelligence in our young men? - very good question @Ben-RO!  I'm really not sure!

And yes @Ngaio-RO, my daughter has spoken to her friends - she would help others. 

Super star contributor
taokat

Agreed @Ben-RO

And @Ngaio-RO, yes, I think putting the emphasis on the perpetrator is a great start. It shifts it from being a problem of the survivor to a problem of the person responsible.

A really interesting and emotional topic, thank you so much @Ben-RO and @Ngaio-RO for starting the conversation. 

Prolific scribe
Ben-RO

Thank you so much for having me along for the chat everyone! A Youth Mod or two might pop on and share their thoughts a bit later, so keep an eye out! 

Night night to you and yours! 

Super star contributor
taokat

Thanks again @Ben-RO! I'll check back later, I'm interested to hear the Youth Mod's thoughts as well. 

Nigh nigh everyone! Smiley Very Happy

Super contributor
Ngaio-RO

Thank you so much, both of you. Small group but such an interesting topic.