Need help now?

Additional Resources for Parents and Teens

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Super star contributor
taokat

Message contains a hyperlink

In addition to ReachOut.com Australia there are some fantastic resources and apps for parents and teens out there. However they only become useful to us once we know about them. Apart from the fact that cyber-space is huge, we don't always know what it is we're looking for either. So to save everyone some time I'd like to share a few handy links you might like to check out.

Resources for Positive Language and Anti bullying 

I have written about it before, but an app we use and recommend is 'Reword'. The aim is to help end cyber bullying by encouraging our teens to communicate kindly. Words that are hurtful, hateful or rude are given a strike through or are highlighted. It teaches kids to think about the words they use. Follow this link to read more about it. From that link you can also download the app.

St Luke's Innovation Bear Cards are a fantastic tool for teaching kids language around their emotions. Click here to learn more about these emotion cards, and see the range, including strength cards.

Resources for Meditation & Mindfulness

Meditation is being encouraged more and more as a way of reducing stress and calming the mind and body. And it works! As a result, many apps have been created to make meditating easy.

Smiling Mind app. A whole range of guided meditations for kids aged seven up to adults are provided. And better still it's free. Go to the link here for more info. The app can be downloaded from the Apple store for IOS or Google Play for Android.

Mindfit app. This is an app focusing on mental health. Essentially it teaches techniques to help change negative thought patterns to keep your mind healthy. While it allows you to set goals and track your progress, you can make it personal for you. The app can be downloaded from the Apple iTunes store or Google Play. Follow this link to read more about this handy app.

Calm is another great app for meditating to relax. It offers guided meditations to help reduce anxiety, improve sleep, and enjoy more clarity and peace in your day to day life. It's free to download from the iTunes store and offers in-app purchases.

Resources for Mental Health 

EMDR stands for Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprogramming. In essence it gets both sides of the brain communicating and is used to treat PTSD, anxiety, depression, personality disorders to name a few. Click on the link to find a practitioner or read the FAQ.

Please feel free to comment and add any useful ReachOut approved resources you know of.

Super star contributor
taokat

Re: Additional Resources for Parents and Teens

Message contains a hyperlink Message contains an image

I've found another resource that my daughter is going to take part in as she has trouble getting to sleep.

It's a sleep app trial run by Black Dog Institute. Signed forms need to be returned prior to April 24 2017. Follow the link below.

Black Dog Institute Adolescent Sleep Trial

black dog.jpg

Super contributor
Ngaio-RO

Arrghhh...how did I miss this?? What an amazing thread @taokat

I'm bumping this up and I'll start adding resources. @taziness I know how many amazing resources you are connected to, could you share your wisdom with us, please?

Super star contributor
taokat

Fantastic, thanks @Ngaio-RO. If we can build up a bank of resources, that'd be great!

Super star contributor
taokat

Message contains an image

A great relaxation tool...

Super contributor
Ngaio-RO

Love it!

Highlighted
Contributor
motherbear

Oh boy @taokat How do  manage to get hyperlinks happening in your posts ? I  have resource links to share but don't know how to  transfer them to my post ? Ta 

Super star contributor
taokat

Hey @motherbear, in the menu just above the comment box, is a link button between the emoticon icon and the photo icon. Highlight the word you want to attach the link to, then click on the link icon which brings up a box where you add the url, the text to display (which I've used 'here').

For the pics I've just copied and pasted. 

Does that help?

Frequent scribe
Mona-RO

Message contains an image Message contains an attachment

Hi @motherbear

@taokat has provided a great explanation of how to insert hyperlinks. I'm pasting a screenshot with a red box around the 'link' icon. Highlight the text in your post you want to hyperlink and click on the icon to type in the URL (as shown in the other screenshot). Hope this helps Smiley Happy

hyperlink image.png

hyperlink 2.png

Super star contributor
taokat

Message contains a hyperlink Message contains an image

This one is thanks to @Kamogelok, who wrote in her thread here:

"After investigating, I found that the SecureTeen is the across the board answer for shielding the children from threats of computerised age. I discovered that with SecureTeen Parental Control application, parents can watch out for their kid's online exercises, deal with their screen time through gadget calendars and remain one stage in front of them through through area cautions."

SecureTeen

An app that allows parents to restrict what your kids can access online. Can be downloaded for Android, Windows and Apple devices.

secure teen.png

Click here to find out more.