Need help now?

My son has not been home for 2 nights he is 17 I am worried and really do not know what to do .

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

My son has not been home for 2 nights he is 17 I am worried and really do not know what to do .

Casual scribe
Sandavnickat

My 17 year old son has not been home for two days , I sent him to his brother for 3 weeks to get him away from a few of his friends he arrived home at the airport on Thursday evening said he was being fetched by his friend and I have still not seen him . Very worried and I do not know what to do . Any advice . I have heard from him twice on messanger . Thursday saying he landed safely and yesterday promising he will be home later . Now is Saturday and still no sign of my son .
Star contributor
TOM-RO

Re: My son has not been home for 2 nights he is 17 I am worried and really do not know what to do .

@Sandavnickat That sounds very unsettling! I'm so sorry to hear this has happened. I have a few ideas. First, on messenger it can give an indication of when the person was last "active" online. You could check that. I would actually call the police for advice, maybe they can do a welfare check if you happen to know the details of the friend etc? They may be able to investigate further. Finally of course, try and contact anyone he knows to see if they have heard from him. Let us know how you go. 

Casual scribe
Sandavnickat

Re: My son has not been home for 2 nights he is 17 I am worried and really do not know what to do .

I drove to where he said he was but no one was there my eldest son who is in Brisbane has told me to go home as he is trying to find out from his friends where he is . He has been off line now for 11 hours . Very hard will phone the police if I have not heard any thing in the next hour . Emotionally draining
Star contributor
TOM-RO

@Sandavnickat Sounds like you've done as much as you can do at this stage. That's really tough not knowing where he is. I can't even begin to imagine how distressing that would feel. Hopefully he is safe and well and with friends. If you don't hear anything it's definitely a good idea to liaise with police who might even be able to track his device to locate him (?). Good luck - again keep us posted (if you can)

Contributor
Nick-RO

Hi @Sandavnickat - just checking in how are you going at the moment?

Parent/Carer Community Champion
Faob_1

Hi there , we have been through this numerous times over the past year with our 15 year old son. I can understand how distressing this can be. I don’t know how your relationship is, but can I suggest that you keep using messenger to communicate with him, even though he is offline. And, really importantly, try not to make your messages judgemental. Believe me I know how hard that is when you just want to scream at them...but, we found we got the best results, replies, from him when we kept tone neutral and just said things like, checking in with you. Hope you are safe. Let me know who you are with and if , when you need a lift home. Cooking a roast on.....hope to see you then and hear how your trip went...

we we are having no end of trouble with our son, and we can’t see a light at the end of the tunnel, but I have to say, when we keep tone neutral things are marginally better.

good luck

police can certainly do a welfare check.