Need help now?

Welcome Parents from the batyr forum!

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Welcome Parents from the batyr forum!

Super contributor
Ngaio-RO

Re: Welcome Parents from the batyr forum!

@dom-batyr I have another question that is a natural progression from the first, I think.

What do you recommend doing to help a teenager cope? 

Special Guest
dom-batyr

@taokat @taziness there was an interesting article on ABC news yesterday re Mindfulness apps (the pros and cons). Have you guys encouraged the use of these?

Prolific scribe
taziness

Love a direct link, but will have a look, thanks! Have looked at many myself and not really keen on many that are being promoted such as Smiling Mind! But do love the Calm one Smiley Happy

eyintas/Empowering Youth in Tasmania
Super star contributor
taokat

@Ngaio-RO her sleep changes began when she started retreating from life due to her anxiety. She prefers being awake when the world is sleeping - less stressful for her, but not too productive. 

Managing it I  must admit is still a problem. She has ASMR massage and meditation that she uses and breathing techniques, but being 15 sher may not do that until 2:30 in the morning!

We've had her psychiatrist talk to her, we've been trying to encourage her to sleep 20 minutes earlier each night to slowly get her back into a 'normal' routine. 

She got a job today though, so has said herself that she wants to have a normal routine so that she can do her schoolwork and work as well...

Super star contributor
taokat

Yes, I have @dom-batyr. My daughter uses a couple (when she chosses). She says they're effective in getting her to sleep. 

Special Guest
dom-batyr

@taziness great question!

I definitely agree that lacking a real connection with any provider is going to be a major barrier to continuing with that avenue. One thing we talk a lot about in our programs is the resilience often shown by young people when having an experience with a service provider that they didn't enjoy or feel connected to, yet continuing to see what other options exist for them.

The silver lining here is that young people can access support a variety of ways and it doesn't have to be utilising a face 2 face services...and it can be done in their own time and in their own space.

I also think that we have to be open to the fact that if a young person doesn't feel a genuine connection to the person their working with then that's ok. Other options can be explored. It's not like we get along with every person we encounter...and providers are people that we need to trust and feel connected to Smiley Happy

Super star contributor
taokat

I have the Calm app and another called Mindfulness @taziness. My daughter uses an ASMR technique.

Prolific scribe
taziness

Definitely a bit of both. 

It's true, a 'cluster' of symptoms was the true indicator. 

Less chatty or engaging than usual.

Withdrawn from family conversations.

Unwilling to participate in most social activities.

Food avoidance and simply looking really dark!

eyintas/Empowering Youth in Tasmania
Special Guest
dom-batyr

Message contains a hyperlink

@Ngaio-RO

I think knowing what resources exist for young people can be a really good way to help them cope. If there are opportunities to share apps, articles and positive stories about mental health then as parents the more we know the better.

Some great apps to chuck into your mental health toolkit are Headspace and Calm.

Another good way to help your teenage is to model positive behaviour when it comes to self care and balance.

It would be hard to encourage teenagers to use the apps, try resources etc if we haven't had a decent crack ourselves Smiley Happy

Super star contributor
taokat

I'm interested to hear @dom-batyr's suggestions on this too.