Need help now?

Welcome Parents from the batyr forum!

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Welcome Parents from the batyr forum!

Prolific scribe
taziness

Re: Welcome Parents from the batyr forum!

Indeed. Just found that article on ABC and agree that one has to go with reputable/recommended Apps, but quite frankly a bit surprised at the lack of quality myself on many! 

It's got to be a multi faceted approach for sure. Whilst IT can be so very helpful, I don't think that anything can really supplement good quality personal interactions.

One of my concerns has definitely been the lack of quality trained youth workers and educators, particularly with recognising Mental Health issues, but also how to really successfully engage a youth about it. It seems like you guys have the Dynamism I am looking for at Batyr, so looking forward to engaging more in future!

eyintas/Empowering Youth in Tasmania
Prolific scribe
taziness

Continue to enjoy the moment Smiley Happy however long it lasts! Good on you Smiley Happy

Prolific scribe
taziness

A type of Kinesiology yes?

Special Guest
dom-batyr

Thanks @Ngaio-RO

Great question! There is always coverage linking drug use, to mental health issues so i'd try an explore safer methods of self care. I wouldn't suggest just letting your son smoke pot as we know the longer term ramifications of this would far outweigh the short term alleviation of anxiety symptoms. 

The challenge would be in how you approach this conversation without just sounding like you know is and isn't best for your son. Probably finding a time when he seems at ease and comfortable to talk would be an appropriate time to nudge him in the right direction. You want to help them with out  coming across as intrusive or pushy.

Super star contributor
taokat

Yes @Ngaio-RO it can be! I know being concerned or worrying is pointless as I cannot control whatever happens, but still it's hard to let it go sometimes!

She's not worried about any of the things I secretly am, she's just excited and feeling strong. So I do need to use my mindfulness techniques to calm my farm! 

Highlighted
Special Guest
dom-batyr

Sounds incredible and happy to hear it's helping Smiley Happy

Super contributor
Ngaio-RO

@taokat Haha that's one of my faves!!

Super star contributor
taokat

Yeah, kind of. I'll find a link after and post it for you Smiley Happy

Special Guest
dom-batyr

I agree. A multi faceted approach is crucial. Also agree with you on the importance of good quality personal interactions!

batyr aim to start the conversation and explore how young people can look after themselves and look out for their friends / family members. We're all about bridging the gap between young people and the array (sometimes harder to find then others) of services available to them.

Prolific scribe
taziness

Excellent article, cheers. Will share and follow up!