Would you like to be a Parent Peer Supporter?
05-19-2017 06:45 PM - last edited on 06-01-2017 12:04 PM by Sophi-RO
Volunteer to help other parents online with youth mental health
Do you care about young people’s mental health and the role parents can play in supporting their teenager’s well-being? We’re looking for volunteers to help support other parents online.
At ReachOut.com, thousands of parents come online every month to find information on issues affecting their teenager. A percentage of them will head to the forums to interact with other parents. Whether it’s bullying, anxiety or exams-stress the ReachOut forums are available 24/7 as a place for parents to connect, share tips and personal stories. ReachOut Parents are putting the call out for parents who are interested in volunteering a small amount of time each week to help other parents as online Parent Peer Supporters.
If this sounds like you, please register now to get started. Just click here
Parent Peer Supporters are parents or carers of teenagers and active members of the Parents Online community forums. They provide support to other members who may be experiencing difficulties with their teenager, welcome new members to the community and flag any concerns regarding members. They are also a vital part of growing the online community by inviting parents to join, sharing Reach Out content and generally raising awareness of ReachOut Parents.
We ask you to commit to spending a minimum of 2 hours per week in the forum and the role is for 12 months. You’ll gain valuable volunteering experience with expert training from professionals at Australia’s leading digital mental health organisation and the chance to support parents right across the country.
Your unique perspective is a big part of what you bring to the role so we strongly encourage people from ALL situations to apply. The only requirements are:
- You care for a teenager regularly – includes: shared care / weekend access / step parents / non-biological parents / extended family who care for a teenager.
- You can attend the training – Saturday the 24th of June and Saturday the 1st of July in Sydney, 10am to 5pm. (Costs will be covered).
- You have access to a computer / tablet and wifi for at least 2 hours every week.
- You are confident you can fulfil the expectations of the role for 12 months – we understand things change so there’s flexibility there if needed.
- You have a genuine desire to support parents and carers who are experiencing issues with their teenagereven if they’re very different to you in their approach to parenting or their belief systems. You are able to show compassion and empathy to everyone in the forums.
- You are willing to learn about and follow the community guidelines so you can represent ReachOut Parents to the best of your ability. This includes maintaining anonymity at all times, respecting privacy and flagging concerns.
- You are able to participate in online coaching – between 1 – 4 sessions with a professional for the skills it will provide you.
- You are committed to introducing as many parents as possible to ReachOut Parents so they can access the support and resources there.
If this sounds like you, please register now to get started.
Just click here