Need help now?

12yo daughter won't leave the house as she doesn't feel comfortable in any clothes.

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

12yo daughter won't leave the house as she doesn't feel comfortable in any clothes.

Highlighted
Casual scribe
Chichibubs

Hi all, 

Since home schooling came into effect, our 12yo daughter refuses to leave the house as she says she can't find anything to wear and doesn't feel comfortable in anything. So I've made several a few trips to the shops to buy her clothes, to which she doesn't like any. Apart from 1 pair of jeans, but when I said let's go to Kmart this afternoon, she put her new jeans on but then got upset that she didn't feel comfortable to go out in them.

We are at a loss at this stage as she even refuses to come for a walk with her dad and I.

Any advice or experience in this situation would be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance.

Super contributor
Taylor-RO

Re: 12yo daughter won't leave the house as she doesn't feel comfortable in any clothes.

Hi @Chichibubs, welcome to ReachOut and thanks for sharing that with us here. It sounds like a really difficult situation that your family is in. You are really doing your best to try and figure out what is going on. Do you know where this feeling of being uncomfortable is coming from? Is it the way that the clothes fit? Is it related to other people that she might see in public? We really feel for you and are here to listen Heart
Casual scribe
Chichibubs

Re: 12yo daughter won't leave the house as she doesn't feel comfortable in any clothes.

Hi Taylor,

Thank you, I am trying to find out why she is feeling this way. I think it's around her age and feeling self conscience.

An advice would be welcomed.

Thank you

Super contributor
Taylor-RO

Message contains a hyperlink

Hi @Chichibubs, no worries at all, thanks for your response again. It could be so many different things - it is such a difficult and complex issue. I know you mentioned only recently buying some new clothes for her.. Is it possible for you to take her shopping to try on different styles and fit? I am not sure what the restrictions are like where you are, so unfortunately it might be difficult during COVID-19. There is also the service called Parent Line which has a telephone support services. There are also referrals and information on their website which you might find helpful Heart