Need help now?

13 year old feeling down

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Casual scribe
Mikismum

13 year old feeling down

My 13 year old is feeling sad and she doesn’t want to talk to anybody about it. I’m not sure if she’s depressed and just feeling sad
Prolific scribe
Andrea-RO

Re: 13 year old feeling down

I can really imagine that it would be really upsetting for you to not know how your child is feeling @Mikismum - Do you have any idea when she started feeling low at all?
Casual scribe
Mikismum

She has been feeling like this for about a week
Casual scribe
Mikismum

She has been like this for a week should I worry I’m not sure if it’s just hormonal
Contributor
Hannah-RO

Message contains a hyperlink

Hey @Mikismum 

It is really tough when our loved ones are sad and we're not sure why. It must be really difficult that she hasn't opened up to you about what is going on for her at the moment that has got her feeling this way, does she seem to have noticed a change in herself too?

Hormones certainly can affect everyones moods, is that something she has experienced before? 

We have some content which I'll link here about depression in teenagers, it outlines that if this sort of low mood is lasting around 2 weeks or more it can be a good idea to try and further investigate what is going on and get some support. A Gp can often be a good place to start with this, have you got a good family GP that you think your daughter might be comfortable talking to?