Need help now?

13yo boy suffering depression

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Scribe
Sunshine57
Solved!

13yo boy suffering depression

Hi.

Our 13yo son is showing signs of depression. He was on medication for a number of years for his depressive behaviours (Autism) and we recently took him off as he became very concerned with some breast tissue development, (gynecomastia).

We had seen paediatricians previously about the gynecomastia and they said it should disappear in puberty, and that the risks of coming off the medication outweigh the gynecomastia. 

Being a new 13yo who has just started high school, he became quite self conscious. Hence we weaned him off the medication.

His depressive behaviours are slowly returning, and he isn't enjoying what he used to, extremely emotional, doesn't want to go to school or get out of bed and just wants to play his Xbox all day.

We see a new paediatrician in June, and I want to put him back on his meds, but he doesn't because of the fear the gynecomastia will come back. we understand this concern 100%, but his mental health is more important to his dad and me.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has had their 13yo boys on anti-depressants, or if they've also experienced their child have gynecomastia from anti-depressant use.

Thanks - Worried Mum & Dad

Accepted Solutions
Contributor
Hannah-RO
Solution

Re: 13yo boy suffering depression

Message contains a hyperlink

Hey @Sunshine57 

Thanks for sharing what you and your family are going through. I'm sorry we don't allow the discussion of specific medications on our forums, there is a bit more info on that in our community guidelines.

It's great that you are being so proactive about your sons wellbeing and getting some support. I understand the gynecomastia is a significant issue for him that he's really concerned about. When other paediatricians told your son about the gynecomastia dissapearing in puberty, how did he feel about that? Was he comforted at all knowing this would only be temporary? I get that it would still be very tough though, being a teen is hard enough as it is without having any additional worries about things that make us different.

It's great you've got another paediatrician appointment lined up, do you think you'll be able to chat to them about other anti-depressant options? There are a huge range out there and sometimes it can take a while to find the right one.

In the meantime, is there anything you can do together that you enjoy? Sometimes when things are tough and really stressful it can be nice to take some time together to unwind and do something fun <3 

View solution in original post

All Replies
Contributor
Hannah-RO
Solution

Re: 13yo boy suffering depression

Message contains a hyperlink

Hey @Sunshine57 

Thanks for sharing what you and your family are going through. I'm sorry we don't allow the discussion of specific medications on our forums, there is a bit more info on that in our community guidelines.

It's great that you are being so proactive about your sons wellbeing and getting some support. I understand the gynecomastia is a significant issue for him that he's really concerned about. When other paediatricians told your son about the gynecomastia dissapearing in puberty, how did he feel about that? Was he comforted at all knowing this would only be temporary? I get that it would still be very tough though, being a teen is hard enough as it is without having any additional worries about things that make us different.

It's great you've got another paediatrician appointment lined up, do you think you'll be able to chat to them about other anti-depressant options? There are a huge range out there and sometimes it can take a while to find the right one.

In the meantime, is there anything you can do together that you enjoy? Sometimes when things are tough and really stressful it can be nice to take some time together to unwind and do something fun <3