Need help now?

15 year old daughter has no friends and thinks she is going to die before she is an adult

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

15 year old daughter has no friends and thinks she is going to die before she is an adult

Casual scribe
DoodleBug

15 year old daughter who has been diagnosed with learning delays, and high functioning autism thinks she is an alien because of her indifferences and she has no friends. She is so worried that if she tries to attempt to make friends they will all make fun of her. She has anxiety, but she doesn't seem depressed. She just spends all day on social media and her father and I are always trying to get her to try new things, but too no avail. Her health is deteriorating rapidly because she won't get out of bed. She says she is fine, but I am worried about her all around being. When I do manage to get her to go do something she is scared to death if I'm not right within touching area. My health is deteriorating quickly as well as I've been in the hospital most of this year with GI issues and cancer scares. I want to be able to guide her on a positive path to finding her own identity, but I feel as though I'm running out of time, and her father hides by working all the time.
Highlighted
Prolific scribe
Portia_RO

Re: 15 year old daughter has no friends and thinks she is going to die before she is an adult

Hi @DoodleBug , thanks for reaching out!

I'm sorry to hear that your daughter is struggling to make friends and that you and your partner are struggling to get her to try new things. Has she been seeing a psychologist or a counsellor to help with her anxiety?

It sounds like things have been really difficult for you this year - trying to support your daughter is a huge challenge, let alone when you have your own health issues to manage at the same time. What have you been doing to look after yourself while you're dealing with all of this? 

Casual scribe
michump

Re: 15 year old daughter has no friends and thinks she is going to die before she is an adult

I'm sorry to hear that, maybe you should support her to explore some hobby or something she likes or plan things with them that she feels like her best friends are you.