Need help now?

17 year old refuses to seek help for her anxiety and low self esteem

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Scribe
Louise22

Hi, Just wondering if there was any advice on how to encourage my 17 year old daughter to seek help in some way for her anxiety and low self esteem? She has said I can't force her to do this and refuses to seek the help she needs. This is really affecting her life - cannot go to School or find her way to look for and possibly get a job. We are struggling as her parents to help her - trying to so hard, but nothing seems to be working from our end. Thank you 

Contributor
Bre-RO

Re: 17 year old refuses to seek help for her anxiety and low self esteem

Heya @Louise22 

It must be so heart wrenching to watch your daughter go through such a tough time. I'm really glad you've come here to get this off your chest and reach out for support, I know you are definitely not alone in this struggle Heart 

It can be really hard to encourage anyone to take on professional help but it's really positive that you're making that an option for your daughter. If it's something she ever wants to pursue, you've made it safe for her to do so, which is really important. 

As you've mentioned that she isn't ready to take that step, do you think that she might be receptive to some other forms of help? Sometimes indirect support such as, doing activities she enjoys, spending quality time together (and with other valued friends and family members) can be a good way to start having conversations around recovery. I've personally found chatting in the car whilst driving, is a good way of getting a teen talking! 

I'm sure there are some other members here who could also provide some tips -  @JAKGR8 @PapaBill @sunflowermom are all incredible parents who I'm will have some ideas to share. 

We're keen to hear back from you and you're welcome to come here and confine in us any time you need to Heart