Need help now?

18 year old daughter wants nothing to do with me and is rude when around me

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Scribe
Darle

My daughter says thing like I was never their and I’ve done nothing for her but I work hard and took a number of years off as to be a stay at home mother for them. She’s rude and insist I follow her direction in life as she believes life should be insists I’m a user of my husband and just it’s endless ridiculous I Recently had Ill health she accused me of faking it and became verbally abusive. In all serious I don’t want to have a relationship with her any more while she is like this and I find it hard to listen to advice saying just let it roll off you or be strong or model the right behavior, I am a human being too and have reached a point we’re I straight out tell her don’t talk like that it’s not ok you can leave the house .I’ve tried multiple times mend the relationship but it’s met with extreme rudeness. I’ve even cried to which was met with swearing and belittling. Is the right thing to be done and just walk away just don’t interact. She lives in my house. It’s awful. I just recently let it go. I can no longer spend energy on that and that doesn’t feel good either as that’s my daughter yet it’s not proper to keep relations with those who hate you.
Highlighted
Super contributor
Taylor-RO

Re: 18 year old daughter wants nothing to do with me and is rude when around me

Hi @Darle,

I am really sorry to hear that you are going through this. Abuse is never okay in any situation. You're right in saying that it is a really difficult situation as your daughter still lives with you and is treating you poorly. It sounds like you've tried a few different approaches and that none of them have worked. I can understand why this is causing you to feel really upset to say the least. It sounds like you're feeling quite stuck and disappointed with how things have turned out. It must be so hard to experience this behaviour from your child.

I was wondering if you have anyone in your life who supports you? Are you currently receiving any mental health support? Is your daughter?

Nevertheless, we are here for you Heart