Need help now?

18 year old released from Prison

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

18 year old released from Prison

Prolific scribe
Andrea-RO

Re: 18 year old released from Prison

Hi @Seeker , 

First of all, I just wanted to say how incredibly brave and strong you have been in sharing your story with us. I can only imagine how stressful and exhausting the past couple of weeks must have been for yourself and your family. It makes perfect sense that after what has happened you're feeling a bit rattled, devastated, and hurt. 

When those we love are struggling with their own issues, the fallout can often affect ourselves, and others we hold close. Unfortunately, a lot of the time all we can do is damage control, and try and minimize as much of the negative consequences. However, part of this is learning how to prioritize yourself. As unnatural as it may feel , it's important to keep yourself safe - physically, mentally, and emotionally - so that when he is ready to change he does have someone who can support him. In this situation you did the best you could, and I think it's very important to take some time to recognise the incredible resilience and effort you have shown. 

I noticed earlier in the thread that you mentioned that you had a therapist. It's really great that you have a professional support to lean on during this time. Do you have another session booked with them soon? It might be very helpful to be able to chat about this with someone face to face.