Need help now?

18 yo daughter struggling with bedwetting and anxiety

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Scribe
fitmummy34

Hi everyone, 

My daughter is 18 and is about to finish her VCE education in a few months time. She is reasonably academic and a all around nice girl who's never been in trouble and doesn't struggle socially, but she gets incredibly anxious when it comes to her friends visiting our house for dinner etc as she is worried they won't like it and she will be teased. She is seeing a Psychologist who is making a difference and has been suggesting different methods to help her work through her anxiety, she loves keeping fit and she says that helps her calm down. She wants to join the Air Force post Year 12 however she still wets her bed almost every night and she understands how this may make her unable to join, so she is becoming anxious about that as well. I'm more than supportive and proud of her, would anyone have any tips or advice on how to help her through her issues? I just wish I could do more.

Contributor
Bre-RO

Re: 18 yo daughter struggling with bedwetting and anxiety

Hey @fitmummy34 

Thank you for sharing this with us and asking for support. I can hear from how you describe your daughter that while she suffers with anxiety, she also seems to have some great positives happening for her. It's great that she has found ways to cope through exercise. 

I can understand though that she worries about the bed-wetting. Is this something she has raised with her psychologist before? It sounds like you're doing everything within your power to be supportive. 

Parent/Carer Community Champion
PapaBill

Hi

It is understandable your daughter would be anxious given the situation

Sound like you are on the right path. Getting help medical help.

I presume you have had her doctor look for physiological causes in addition to a psychologist.

In addition to being supportive parent
I can't offer any additional suggestions.

Keep being loving, suporting while avoiding adding to her anxiety
Highlighted
Star contributor
Jess1-RO

Hey @fitmummy34,

Just checking in to see how you are going. Have you had a chance to have a look at the replies from @PapaBill and @Bre-RO? Hope this is able to give you a starting point to support your daughter around bedwetting Heart

Check out our community activities calendar here