Need help now?

18 yr old with depression who doesn't want help and will stay in bed all day

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Highlighted
Scribe
Bazwa

This has been an ongoing issue since he was 12. Over the years he has seen many psychologists and Counselling and has had and has had antidepressants and anti anxiety medication. 6 months ago he refused to see anyone and not take anymore meds. He just recently turned 18 and won’t get out of bed, will wear the same clothes over and over and won’t shower. We have tried every approach and are exhausted and at a loss at this point.
Contributor
Bre-RO

Re: 18 yr old with depression who doesn't want help and will stay in bed all day

Message contains a hyperlink

Hi @Bazwa thank you for sharing this with us. You and your family have been through a lot for a long time, and I hope this online community can provide you with some comfort that you're not alone. So many parents share similar experiences here and use the forum as a way to vent, connect with other parents and find avenues for support. 

With that said, I can imagine how heartbreaking and concerning it is for you to witness your son struggle with depression since the age of 12. It sounds like you've been very proactive with getting your son support from psychologists and medication. You mentioned that your son has stopped taking medication, and I'm wondering if he's still seeing a psychologist? 

I'm also curious to know if you have a support network at the moment? It's tough for a parent to go through this, and feeling exhausted and at a loss is completely understandable.

I have a suggestion for a support option, please feel free to let us know what you think, and we'll do our best to help. 

We have a free one-on-one parenting support service available if you're interested. Here is all the information you'll need to sign up. 

Thank you again for opening up, and we hope to chat with you soon.