Need help now?

19 year old son whom is struggling with body image, drugs and anxiety.

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Casual scribe
79series

I have a 19 year old son that is struggling with body image, drugs and anxiety. He used drugs to help him control his self diagnosed anxiety and hormones and then ended up purchasing a dietary pill (online which is also where he got the other drugs from) that he over dosed on and ended up in ICU in an induced coma for 3 1/2 days in August. He seemed to going pretty good since he came out of hospital I felt like I had my son back but then he woke up one day and was absolutely out of it. He has purchased drugs again which I feel he is addicted too and then Friday night he made a wrong choice and decided to take multiple drugs and then drive his car. Fortunately he did not hurt anyone else or himself but has managed to severely damage his Ute as well as another parked Ute. I am a my wits end and have called lifeline but they seemed to be more concerned about me, even when I told them I was ok I just need help for my son. I am an extremely worried parent and am trying to find the best help for my son but seem to hit a brick wall everywhere I turn. Please help me find the help my son needs.

Highlighted
Super contributor
Taylor-RO

Re: 19 year old son whom is struggling with body image, drugs and anxiety.

Message contains a hyperlink

Hi @79series, thanks for sharing that with us. Just so you know, I had to remove the drug names from your post as it breaches our community guidelines here. It sounds like your family has been going through a lot of stress and pain recently. Your son is dealing with a whole range of issues which must be difficult for him to process. I was wondering whether you knew if your son was having any thoughts of suicide or ending his life? Overdosing is not always related to thoughts of suicide but it is important to know if it is. This would help determine the appropriate level of support for your son. Is this a conversation you would feel comfortable having with him? We have some resources and information here that might help. I was also wondering what professional support your son has received so far? Our forums is for Australian parents of children aged 12-18. You are more than welcome to use our forums and services but just know that some services may not be relevant or accessible based on your son's age. Services you speak to might be inclined to check in on you as a parent as what you are going through is really difficult. It is only natural for this kind of thing to take a toll on yourself. It is important for you to have support throughout this. You don't have to go through it alone just because you are a parent Heart Is there any support you currently have? 

Casual scribe
79series

Re: 19 year old son whom is struggling with body image, drugs and anxiety.

Oh I’m sorry I obviously didn’t read very much well. Thanks for you help I will have a look into one of the adult forums instead.