Need help now?

ADHD

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Scribe
parent2427

ADHD

Hi! I have a 7yr old boy with ADHD. Medications previously worked, but it seems it his medications are not effective. My main issues are that he is not sleeping well( waking around 2AM and not going to sleep) and decreased appetite. His inability to sleep has caused me to get very little sleep for the past month as he typically will wake me up. His main complaint is he has nightmares and is seeing things in his room such as bugs etc... Even after doubling his night medication dosage his and my sleepless  nights persist. As for his appetite it has significantly decreased as well. In the past the stimulants given in morning would decrease appetite, but during dinner time he would have a large appetite. I am worried about how his lack of appetite and sleep will negatively effect his development. Does any have similar issues and solutions? Thanks in advance!!

Contributor
Bre-RO

Re: ADHD

Message contains a hyperlink

Gosh, this must be so concerning and exhausting for you and your son @parent2427. I'm glad you've opened up about this, as I know many parents of young people with ADHD here in the online community. 

It can be a lot of trial and error to get the right balance with ADHD medication which can bring up a lot of grief and frustration. You are definitely not alone with these challenges, but it's tough to know the right thing to do. 

I'd strongly recommend having regular appointments with your family GP or psychiatrist to monitor the side effects you've described. Different medications and dosages work better for each individual, and striking that balance differs from person to person. Have you raised your concerns with a health professional? 

I thought it might be helpful for me to share the contact details for Healthline, which is a helpline run by registered nurses who can listen to your concerns and provide referrals based on the information you give them.  You can give them a call on 1800 022 022. 

I also wanted to share ADHD Support Australia's website, which has tonnes of resources, support for parents and a directory for ADHD specific support services. 

I can imagine this situation is taking a toll on you and your son. Do you two have a support network around you during this time? 

If you feel up to it, let us know how you go with finding help, and if there's anything we can do to help, please let us know. 

Hope to hear from you soon! 

Active scribe
Crazymum66

Hi my 14yo daughter has ADHD. She can go for 2 days with no sleep so her doctor prescribed medication. She takes it at night and gets 8 hours sleep. She also doesn't eat much so I try and give her high fat content foods. As long as they are in the weight range for their age they are ok.

Contributor
Philippa-RO

Message contains a hyperlink

Hi @Crazymum66 - thanks so much for sharing your experiences. 

I just wanted to let you know I edited your post to remove the specific information about medication, in accordance with our community guidelines.