Need help now?

Anorexia, Excercise addiction

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Highlighted
Casual scribe
Albury14

Anorexia, Excercise addiction

Hi, Is anyone else here a carer for a teen with anorexia nervosa turned into excercise addiction? Any advice greatly appreciated. :0

Contributor
Sophia-RO

Re: Anorexia, Excercise addiction

Hi @Albury14, sounds like you are in a tough situation at the moment. It can be really difficult at times being a carer for someone else. Have you or the teen had the chance to speak to a professional about this behaviour? Speaking to a psychologist about your concerns would be a good place to start Heart.
Star contributor
Janine-RO

Message contains a hyperlink

Hi @Albury14 , 

I just thought I would check in and see how you are going - it can be so challenging to be supporting a young person who's struggling with disordered eating and an exercise addiction.  As Sophia mentioned ,a psychologist who's skilled in the treatment of eating disorders is a great place to start, as well as liaising with your GP. 

The Butterfly Foundation do really amazing work in this area too - they offer an online support group for families and friends of people who are in treatment for an eating disorder, you can find that here if you think that might be helpful. Supporting someone who's experiencing an eating disorder can be so tough on families and carers, and it can help a lot to hear from people who are going through similar things. Their support line is also excellent, they are staffed by counsellors who all have experience in treating eating disorders and they can give support to families and friends as well (  1800 33 4673 ) 

Eating Disorders Families Australia is another really great place to find a range of resources aimed at supporting parents and carers - they also offer support groups, and have a lot of different information and support to help parents navigate this journey. 

How is your daughter doing at the moment, is she currently in treatment, or is this a recent diagnosis? Thinking of you. 

Casual scribe
Albury14

HI, Thank you so much for checking, Yes we have been in this journey for a very long time. I am just getting very tired, recently heard about reachout and was reaching out to see if any other parents have anything I havent considered or thought of. We have a very good team of professionals around us, so thank you for asking but we are good in that respect, unless of course you have a recommendation. Best WIshes Smiley Happy