Need help now?

Antidepressants for 14 year old

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Antidepressants for 14 year old

Contributor
Sophie-RO

Re: Antidepressants for 14 year old

This is so great to hear @Mbfwt - hope that things continue to move in this direction.

Validation is so important.

Do let keep us in the loop.
Casual scribe
melindas

My 14 year old son was diagnosed last year with depression. His psychologist recommended he start on anti depressants. Our GP was happy to prescribe them as she felt that it was necessary as well, however she wanted him to see a child psychiatrist as well to ensure we were on the right track. We ended up seeing someone from RCH child and adolescent department. He conducted a full cognitive and psychological assessment and recommended that he stay on the anti depressants. He still has regular contact with his GP and the school social worker and the psychologist when we can get in. All this is working but he still has very down days but not like before. He is not self harming and is more confident to talk to his support people. The anti depressants have definitely helped and I believe are necessary so that he is in a position to actively engage with the support team, before he was just closed up and not open to receiving help. Good luck with your daughter, it's a very tricky time for everyone enfolded. 

Contributor
Mitzi

Gee that's great news @Mbfwt. You must be feeling relieved.  As I said it's not all beer and skittles but most days are OK. My son also feels much better when he incorporates exercise - he'll go for a run or take a skipping rope and work out in the garage area.

Hi-5!

Contributor
Mitzi

Your son is lucky to have you @melindas. Sounds to me like he's getting the best help there is. Good on you, I know it's an effort -- all the appointments, adjusting to medications, still having occasional down days etc.

I tell my son that antidepressenst are great for treating the chemical imbalance of seratonin in his brain but they are not going to prevent "sadness" which is a normal human emotion. He feels he's more skilled now at telling the difference between "sadness" and "depression" and that gives him a sense of security.

Casual scribe
melindas

Thank you.😄

It can be tough juggling appointments and sometimes feeling like we are getting no where but then we have a night like last night when he came home from football and had kicked a goal and their team had a great win and he was in such a good mood.

You are right, a bit of exercise  can make such a difference. Sometimes he doesn't want to train or play but when he does he always feels so much better. 

Contributor
readthemanual

Thanks for sharing encouraging experiences! @melindas @waldo_pepper I am sure @Mbfwt your child will survive with your support.

Are your children all in reachout youth site?

New member? Introduce yourself here by answering our 5 question Q&A!
Contributor
Sophie-RO

Thank you @melindas for sharing your story. It's wonderful to hear that you were able to find the help that's right for your son, and even though he still has bad days, overall he's well on his way with the right help....
Hope you can stick around I'm sure there is lots we could all learn from your help-seeking journey wit him...
Super frequent scribe
HalleysComet

Thanks @melindas, that was so helpful for me to read your posts here... You've given me hope that help is out there.

And yes, got to make the most of those great moments and remember them (and encourage the kids to remember them too)....
Contributor
Sophie-RO

That's a good point actually @readthemanual - encouraging your children onto the ReachOut.com the youth site, they can connect anonymously and safely with other young people on the forums there. They can talk to other young people, who are maybe a bit older and made it through and can help - in a very real way - to let them know it gets better...
Frequent scribe
Mbfwt

I will definitely try & get my daughter on the forum. When we were overseas (we don't have any family here) & she met with older teen relatives it really helped. The medication has helped - she even hugged me the other day & told me how happy she is - but since has had a low again (to be expected) - talking to others on the forum would certainly help Smiley Happy