Need help now?

Any other parents on here suffering with a child with drug addiction

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Casual scribe
Loralei

Hi,

I have a daughter who is suffering with drug addiction.  I'm hoiping to find others on this forum who are going through the same and may have more coping methods for me and my other daughter.  We are at our wits end.

Prolific scribe
Jay-RO

Re: Any other parents on here suffering with a child with drug addiction

Hey there @Loralei and welcome to ReachOut Smiley Happy

I'm sorry to hear about your daughter's addiction. It can be difficult to cope with someone who is struggling with a drug addiction. Is there anyone around you that you or your other daughter are able to talk to about this? Talking to people, discussing what's happening, can be helpful in coping with the situation. Other coping methods that you may be able to use include self-care, which is doing an activity that you enjoy or that makes you feel better, such as exercise, a hobby or eating fruit. Having these activities for self-care, and then doing them when you're feeling stressed about your daughter can sometimes help ease the stress. What do you think?

I'm going to tag some other users in for their advice too Smiley Happy @Happy @sunflowermom @Schooner @taokat 

Casual scribe
Loralei

Thanks Jay.  We are speaking to a Counsellor, someone had suggested that I may find parents on here that may experience the day to day heartbreak and stresses it brings and have some additional coping methods or help for us

Parent/Carer Community Champion
sunflowermom

Hi @Loralei  

I am sorry you and your family are dealing with addiction.  In our family we are dealing with my daughters mental illness and in some ways I think there are lots of similarities.  Some that come to mind are the impulsiveness and mood swings- the danger my child puts herself in.  As a parent its scary stuff and I have come to realize I cannot be there every moment to protect her.

We strive for open communication but at times I just know she is lying and it hurts.

I do my best to support her, but not always give in to her every wish.  I look for others to support me and bounce ideas off of.  And I try very hard to take care of myself through reading, meditation and extra sleep when needed.  Do you think a addiction support group might be helpful?  

Hugs, we are hear to listen and support you any way we can.

Parent/Carer Community Champion
compassion

@Loralei

Hello, 

I'm sorry life is such that you are on these boards. And, at the same time, I'm glad you found your way here. My daughter does not, as far as I know, have a drug addiction.  My daughter's impulsivity, high risk behaviour, and self-harming have re-shaped our life this past year, and I understand the concern about your other daughter (I have two others) and the feeling of being unequipped to help our daughter/help others in the family/help ourselves cope with the worries and the heartbreak. 

Can you tell us a bit more?  How old is your daughter?  Is she living at home with you? How much insight does she have into her behaviour/addiction right now? How long has she been using? To what degree is her addiction affecting her life (is she still attached to a school? does she have friends who do not use?  is she engaging in risky/dangerous activities to procure drugs?  How is your relationship with your daughter who is using right now?

I'm glad that counselling is on the horizon (hopefully, for each of you, if possible).  If possible, please let us know a bit more.  

There are many of us here who are/have been 'at wit's end' and I hope you find this forum supportive. 

Frequent scribe
Alexendra

Hi !!! I understand your situation and also know that it is very difficult for any parent to see their child struggling with a drug addiction. I want to know that have you ever tried to contact any Rehab Center for this?

Star contributor
TOM-RO

Message contains a hyperlink

Hi @Alexendra 

Just posting here to let you know that I had to edit your post. I removed the second half of it because we prefer if our users are not linked to, or told to book in with, specific health organisations. Please have a read of our guidelines here for more information on the kind of posts we want and don't want to see on our forum. Thank you Smiley Happy