Need help now?

Back to school with severe depression.

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Back to school with severe depression.

Super contributor
Ngaio-RO

Re: Back to school with severe depression.

Hey @LovingThruBlue I'm always blown away by what incredible resilience and committment you show. I know it might be hard to feel this at the moment but your daughter is very lucky to have such a devoted mum and your commitment to her will make a huge difference to her recovery.

I'm wondering what you're doing for you, at the moment. Have you got the time or space to start doing an acitivity that is just about and for you? Even something small like meeting a friend for coffee once a week or  doing a physical activity you enjoy.

@Red21 is very knowledgable about yoga. Have you thought about yoga as a form of self-care?

Contributor
LovingThruBlue

Hi @Ngaio-RO. Thank you so much for your kind words. It always helps to hear such things. 

From the beginning of all this I have tried to have coffee with friends when I can and I approached a work collegue who I thought would have an understanding of what I am going through. She did and she has become a valuable friend and support to me. 

Regardless of this I did hit the bottom a few weeks ago and found myself crying a lot and suffering terrible anxiety. So I have begun counselling and stress management for myself and it is helping a lot. 

I have also begun walking and jogging a couple of times a week which I enjoy and had stopped doing because I am nervous to leave my daughter for long periods. It's about finding what works at the time I guess and (just like when I had toddlers) then when you find the balance things change & you have to find it again Smiley Happy lol 

Super contributor
Ngaio-RO

That's wonderful news @LovingThruBlue I'm so glad your workmate turned out to be good value and that you're walking and jogging again.

I'm sure you're already way ahead of this, but I'll say it anyway. If you can encourage your daughter to walk with you then she'll also get to reap the benefits of exercise. BUT, I know how incredibly hard that can be. My kids barely tolerate standing, let alone walking. Cat Tongue

One thought I did have though is on nice days maybe your daughter could grab a blanket and book or electronic device and sit in the park while you jog or walk.  Apparently, we are ALL a little bit deficient in Vitamin D. It's supposed to be a result of our prompt response to the skin cancer campaigns. And low vitamin D is way better than skin cancer!! but there's much to be gained from sitting in a park on a lovely day. Just an idea.

Contributor
LovingThruBlue

That is a great idea to suggest she sit on a rug whilst I walk @Ngaio-RO! You're right - suggesting she walk with me gets a No every time. I'll definately try that. Thank you 

Prolific scribe
hippychick

I think exercise is one of the best things for stress and depression. Would she be interested in doing dance classes with you or martial arts? Some type of physical exercise that she likes and you like..

Contributor
LovingThruBlue

Not at this stage @hippychick but I'm certainly not giving up on that Smiley Happy I'll keep the occasional subtle suggestions up until she's ready