Need help now?

Borderline traits

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Highlighted
Scribe
Gillyo7

Borderline traits

My son has had previous trauma with his Borderline father. He complains that his stepfather of 2.5 years is a bad man whenever he is challenged to complete his chores. I feel out of my depth and the meat in the sandwich. My son is talking about leaving his year 12 studies so that he can get a job and move out. I believe that what he feels is real but often it's an over reaction. He was getting counselling but decided that he no longer needs it. I'm lost as to what I can do. My husband refuses to walk on eggshells but I'm feeling that I am and have lost confidence in parenting my son.
Super contributor
Taylor-RO

Re: Borderline traits

Hey @Gillyo7, thank you for sharing. Being the meat in the sandwich must be incredibly challenging and exhausting. How do you feel about your son getting a job and moving out? I am wondering if you think there would be any benefit for you and/or your current partner to attend counselling? It is so difficult when your child may need support but does not want to attend counselling. This is a common problem that parents face. All you can do is lend a supportive ear and make sure he knows that support is always available, even if it is to talk about his frustrations. I am also wondering, how do you look after yourself when things get really tough at home?