Need help now?

CONCERNED about step daughters BEHAVIOUR! She has become a law onto herself.

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Highlighted
Scribe
Loz123

Hello, 

I need some urgent advice for my 14 year old stepdaughter.

Her and her brother who is 10 begun living with my partner (their dad) earlier this year by choice.

Miss 14 started off okay at a new school which she had chosen and we had collectively agreed to.

About 6 weeks later she began showing signs of just not caring.

She only cared for her social life which she had now made outside of the school she attended.

She did have a girl whom she befriended at the new school and they would only attend if the other was attending.  They then began not to show even when they were both there towards the end of last term. Her friend has now been removed from the school and sent elsewhere. She now has said she has no one to hang out with at school as all these girls do is talk about others behind their backs and she doesnt want to be a part of this. 

I will just cut to the chase. 

Over the school holidays her lies, level of disregard and and care have just become a major concern and also as major issue which has impacted her fathers ability to cope. 

We are struggling to have any kind of control and when everything comes to a head her father will end up losing his temper and it becomes a dramatic and is taking its toll on all involved 

Please how do i go about this as the meat in the sandwich as he often refers to everyone overiding him and that he had no say with when her mum was around and never will. 

Contributor
Philippa-RO

Re: CONCERNED about step daughters BEHAVIOUR! She has become a law onto herself.

@Loz123 I’m so sorry to hear things have been so challenging for your family lately.
It sounds like your stepdaughter is having a really hard time with school and social issues. When you say she’s ‘not caring’, what do you think might be happening for her? Do you think it’s possible she could be feeling depressed or anxious?

I really feel for you when you say you feel caught in the middle between your partner and stepdaughter. When your partner struggles to cope and loses his temper, that sounds really intense. Do you think your partner and stepdaughter would consider either individual or family counselling?

We're so glad you were able to come here and share what's happening for you, it can be really hard to ask for support. This is a non-judgemental and safe space for you to chat about what's happening, and we are also happy to help you find professional support if that's something you'd find helpful.