Concern daughter is using steroids

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Casual scribe
bhowlings

Hello everyone,

Bethany here, 

My husband and I are very concerned about our 14 year old daughter, She has become very angry, aggressive and vicious. She plays volleyball and wrestles. She has gained  a lot of weight in a year. I am humilated to say we think she is using steroids.

Any advice?

Parent/Carer Community Champion
gina-Ro

Re: Concern daughter is using steroids

Message contains a hyperlink

Hi @bhowlings -  welcome to our forum, thanks for reaching out. 

Oh that sounds really worrying for you - great that your daughter is involved in a lot of sport, but can understand that the weight gain seems a lot. I have edited out the exact weight to keep in line with our guidelines around not disclosing measurements. 

Is this something you could talk to your daughter about generally? Without bringing up the weight, maybe you could open up a conversation about how she is going? You could mention that you've noticed some changes, and want to make sure she is okay. 

Hoping other parents are able to offer you some support and insight too. 

Highlighted
Casual scribe
bhowlings

Thank you Gina for the information. We have tried to talk to her, but she gets very aggressive and we are terrified of her temper. she is bigger then both of us and very athletic and don't want her angry. We took her supplements away and that created a volatile situation. we don't know what to do

Parent/Carer Community Champion
gina-Ro

@bhowlings, hmm sounds like talking is really challenging.

This sounds like something that might require professional support - could you see a counsellor, or social worker or psychologist  by yourself, or with your partner, so that you can receive your own emotional support, as well as strategies and insights into how to address communication with your daughter? 

It must be really painful for you to see your daughter this way, and it's really important that you get your own support. Heart

Frequent scribe
Happy

Hi @bhowlings,

I agree with @gina-Ro about going to see a counsellor to talk to about this. As a parent I often find it comforting speaking to a professional about my children and life in general.

Can I suggest talking to her coaches. Maybe they have noticed a change in your daughter as well and can offer advice. 

My daughter is 15, she loves her sport and trains at a national level. I often touch bases with her coaches,to see how they are, which comps are coming up and how my daughter is performing.

All this is done without my daughters knowledge.

I hope this helps.

Please keep us updated.