Need help now?

Defiant 5 year old Boy

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Casual scribe
SteppDadd7

Defiant 5 year old Boy

I am the step father to a defiant 5 year old. He is known by all family members as "the bad kid". He can be sweet but he gets blatantly defiant a lot. Last week he decided to steal one of my knives out of my tool box and take it to daycare/church preschool. Then laughs about it to his mother when shes trying to have a serious conversation about it. I really am at a loss for ideas on how to deter/punish/discapline a child like this. We discussed taking away his fun this week by taking away things such as his ipad, his bedroom television, his favorite snacks ect.... Any ideas?

Prolific scribe
Jay-RO

Re: Defiant 5 year old Boy

Hey there @SteppDadd7 and welcome to ReachOut,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having a difficult time with your step-son. Does his mother have any suggestions on what you both could do to manage his behaviour? 

Have you spoken to any professionals, such as a counselor or psychologist about what's been going on?

I'm also going to tag in some other users who have spoken about this topic:  

@Angelmum@JAKGR8@timmins@lizard0812@Dad4good 

Casual scribe
SteppDadd7

Thank you for the response. We have not turned to a professional at this time. It is on the horizon though. I thought maybe we could fix the issue but its not going well. He's very good at being sweet when he wants to and it seems to bring his mother a false sense of stability. We have talked about making this week a lot more discipline oriented because he has been missing that in our house.
Prolific scribe
Jay-RO

Message contains a hyperlink

Hey there @SteppDadd7, it's been a couple of weeks since we last heard from you, how are things going with your son? 

I noticed that you may be in the US, which as a great parent helpline here and a huge list of services over here that might be able to offer more tailored support. What do you think?