Need help now?

Depression

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Casual scribe
AOEilyasm3
Solved!

Depression

Hi parents, What challenging times you are all going thru!! I am a grandmother of a 13 yr old boy whom I feel is suffering depression. He is online 24/7 His Mother works f/t and allows him to stay online as long as he wants. I call in twice a day to check up on him. But he seems more withdrawn each day and doesn’t really like me disturbing him, grunts at me if I suggest walking out in the sunshine with me i feel awful like I’m an intruder!! Does anyone have any advise? I really worry about him.

Accepted Solutions
Contributor
Philippa-RO
Solution

Re: Depression

Message contains a hyperlink

@AOEilyasm3 welcome to the forums - I'm really sorry to hear of your worries for your grandson, that sounds really difficult.

It's been such a hard time for young people lately with COVID and lockdowns - I think it's had a big impact on many teenagers. Do you feel like that's contributed to your grandson seeming depressed?
Are there things he enjoys doing that you notice lift his mood at all?

We have some articles on our website about teenagers and depression here, and Raising Children Network also has some helpful information here in case you'd like to read through.

Do you think your grandson would be open to talking to someone about how he's feeling - whether you, another trusted person or a professional?
If he's open to talking to a professional, a few possible starting places could be a GP, school counsellor, Kids Helpline, eHeadspace or ReachOut's youth forums depending on what he feels most comfortable with. 

I wanted to say too that I think it's so positive that he has you looking out for him - what a huge strength for a young person to have such a caring grandparent. Heart

View solution in original post

All Replies
Contributor
Philippa-RO
Solution

@AOEilyasm3 welcome to the forums - I'm really sorry to hear of your worries for your grandson, that sounds really difficult.

It's been such a hard time for young people lately with COVID and lockdowns - I think it's had a big impact on many teenagers. Do you feel like that's contributed to your grandson seeming depressed?
Are there things he enjoys doing that you notice lift his mood at all?

We have some articles on our website about teenagers and depression here, and Raising Children Network also has some helpful information here in case you'd like to read through.

Do you think your grandson would be open to talking to someone about how he's feeling - whether you, another trusted person or a professional?
If he's open to talking to a professional, a few possible starting places could be a GP, school counsellor, Kids Helpline, eHeadspace or ReachOut's youth forums depending on what he feels most comfortable with. 

I wanted to say too that I think it's so positive that he has you looking out for him - what a huge strength for a young person to have such a caring grandparent. Heart

Casual scribe
AOEilyasm3

Thank you so much for your reply. I will read what you sent me and I’m doing the best I can for an old grandma yes we are all going through very difficult times I feel sorry for all the parents out there with children, teens, lockdown, Coverd and the rest. I will keep trying keep pushing through and keep hoping that things will get better and all these gorgeous kids will get through it and live a normal life whatever normal is these days take care stay safe and thank you
Active scribe
phoneagent007

hmm, you are right!

Frequent scribe
Emily-RO

Hi @AOEilyasm3 I just wanted to check-in with you. How are you feeling?

It's really hard when the people we care for are going through something difficult. I'm glad that your grandson has such an empathetic grandmother like you looking out for him! 

I was wondering if you had a chance to look at our articles about teenagers and depression here and here? Or if you think your grandson would be open to talking with a professional?