Need help now?

Despondent teen

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Scribe
80tulip

Despondent teen

So my daughter has been a pretty happy go lucky chatty kid for most of her 16 years. In the last 3 months she has changed to a very despondent immovable teen. She doesn't willingly want to do anything, other than if a buy her things. She is almost impossible to get motivated to do anything, although once I get her somewhere she is fine and talks about how much fun she has had. It's just the getting her to motivate herself is ,just not happening and sometime even the poking and convincing her to do stuff just doesn't work. What could be going on and what can I do about it?
Highlighted
Parent/Carer Community Champion
gina-Ro

Re: Despondent teen

Message contains a hyperlink

Hey there @80tulip 

Must be hard to see your daughter change so much in such a short period of time - it can be so difficult to tackle the lack of motivation. 

The lack of motivation sounds like something that happens to a lot of teens around the age of 16 - I know many other parents have shared similar things happening on the forum. 

Have you reflected back to your teen the good time she does seem to have when she is able to get out to an activity? 

Have you been able to speak to her about what she thinks has changed, or what's going on for her? Maybe she will have some ideas about how to get more motivated? 

I'm going to tag some parents that might be able to give you a bit of support from their own experiences  - 

@cryingmum18 @Dotty @Orbit64 @sunflowermom @compassion @lizard0812  @WhaeaM  @JAKGR8, @PapaBill