Need help now?

Do you give your teen a credit card and then get mad when they are taking advantage of it?

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Do you give your teen a credit card and then get mad when they are taking advantage of it?

Scribe
Frygirl26

Help give advice on what you do…

we gave our son a Cc for dinners with team sports, gas for the truck, approved clothes purchases. But here lately he’s been using it for dinner and lunch dates with his new girlfriend and buying stupid little things at a gas station are just expected now? Since he comes home and does the dishes once a week and helps drive his brother to a dr appt. We owe him the allowance for all that! Last month was over a $500 purchases. I am getting from him that none of his friends do chores and they just get an allowance because they are kids, he works only 4 hours a day maybe twice a week and he works out every am from 630am-10am. Then he’s so tried and worn out he comes home showers and then lays in bed for hours or plays  PlayStation. “ He’s just so tired and worn out.” I remember working 7 hour days then having school in the am. I remember if I wanted anything nicer then Walmart clothes I had to buy it my self.  
Is this just a new time for teens or am spoiling my child too much? Are teens now days just entitled to everything because this is just what is going on in the world? 

Contributor
Sophia-RO

Re: Do you give your teen a credit card and then get mad when they are taking advantage of it?

Hello @Frygirl26 , that sounds like a difficult situation to be in. I can understand you allowing your son to use the credit card for little purchases, but it sounds like things have been different lately. Have you had the chance to talk with him about his spending? Have you been able to ask what he spent $500 worth of purchases on and let him know what an appropriate spending limit would be for the future?