Need help now?

HSC Stress post Sydney lockdown

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Parent/Carer Community Champion
Birdwings

Greetings!

My son was doing year 12 this year, and bailed out earlier in the year. I think he derailed last year with lockdown and found that he really didn't like school and he didn't want to go back. However, a number of his friends and children of my friends are doing their HSCs right now and the feedback I'm getting is that they're more stressed than usual and some of my friends are quite concerned about their kids. A few have had terrible stress and been physically ill and another did the bolt last night and went awol. I remember this sort of thing going on when I did my HSC, but I do wonder what sort of impact being in lockdown and now being in a crowded hall, wearing masks through the exams, and having two years of very disjointed schooling is having on these young people and the parents supporting them.  I did see footage of one poor girl on the news talking about her glasses fogging up with the mask and I really felt for her. 

I also thought I'd mention that I've noticed that lockdown has had a profound impact on me in an unexpected way. I started researching my Great Great Uncle's war service and this expanded into a massive history research project, which could well lead me to getting my PhD. I really liked the idea of having a "lockdown project" and I concentrated a lot of energy into that with a view of turning a huge negative into an equally significant positive. However, lockdown continues and I have some health issues so I have been in lockdown much longer than the official dates. After 18 months, it dawned on me that I have rewired my neuropathways in all sorts of ways and had become very unbalanced. I don't go near crowds at all, but I know that's going to be challenging and is challenging for many people. I just thought I'd mention it hear to see if it rings any bells. I've had friends make similar observations. People struggling to make conversation, even though they're usually good talkers. There are also many people who don't stop talking. 

Anyway, I'd be interested to hear what others have experienced.

Best wishes,

Birdwings 

Contributor
Sophia-RO

Re: HSC Stress post Sydney lockdown

Hello @Birdwings , you have raised some really interesting points, and I can’t imagine how difficult it must be for Year 12’s to do their HSC whilst adjusting to the current restrictions. I hope that the exams don’t last for too much longer.

I’ve also heard about some of the unexpected effects of lockdown and how others are now hesitant to be in crowds unlike before. I think it makes sense though as you mentioned that we have been in this mindset for so long that it can be hard to switch back quickly to the old mindset of being comfortable in crowds. I hope that things get easier as time goes by, and we are slowly introduced more and more to crowds. Do you think that is something that will help you?

Parent/Carer Community Champion
Birdwings

Thanks, Sophia. My personal situation is quite different due to my health and disability issues and I am juggling things with my OT and psychologist. I also did mention the need for additional support for people on the NDIS who have been in extensive lockdown and possibly like me, still pretty much in lockdown. I don't know whether it's had any impact. 

I would be interested to generate a bit of a discussion around this. 

Many thanks and best wishes,

Birdwings

Star contributor
TOM-RO

Hey @Birdwings ,

I can definitely understand the interest to generate a discussion around this. I can imagine there can definitely feel a culmination of all the various stressors throughout lockdowns and how it can impact mental health. Fingers crossed that the NDIS have received that feedback and are able to action it.

I've been doing a lot of reading around "re-entering" into the new "post-COVID19 norm" since I am also experiencing re-entry anxiety to a degree. In reading you mention the rewiring of the neural pathways, I also imagine it'll take some time to rewire to slowly feel more comfortable with re-adapting. We are all impacted different, some in more complex ways than others. We had to learn to find new ways to cope, which means we dedicated resources to self-preservation. On the flip-side, we weren't practicing our interpersonal communication as much, so regarding what you said around people struggling to converse, it makes sense. What do you think?

I'm glad to hear you have some professional support that you're working on things with. It's a slow and sometimes difficult road, but I hope you're feeling well supported in these times.