Need help now?

Heartbroken son

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Scribe
Monique72

Heartbroken son

My 15 y/o son's girlfriend broke up with him last night. He is beyond devastated. He not only loved her but her family. It kind of became his only friend over time. I warned him against that but the sun rose and set with her. Now he feels so alone. I don't know where to begin. Help!

Parent/Carer Community Champion
Birdwings

Re: Heartbroken son

Message contains a hyperlink

Dear Monique72,

I'm sorry to hear that your son's relationship broke up, and he feels so bad. I remember what that was like myself. I'm more steady these days but used to write a lot of poetry and got rather caught up in it. I also know what it's like to get all caught up with their family and just the other day received a phone call from my ex boyfriend's mother from Year 12 1987. I'm not in touch with him but we ring each other occasionally and no time has passed. His sisters and I still feel close as well. In many ways its a good thing that teenagers know the families and that have that layer of support and involvement, but it makes it so much harder when it all comes crashing down. 

So I guess the question now is how to get him through the painful hump atm. Make sure he's safe and supported. Keeps busy. Music can be a good healer. I find Guy Sebastian has some good songs for tough times like I'm Standing With You. 

Does he go to school with this girl and they'll be crossing paths a lot? That's a tough one. Avoiding where this person is going to be gets tricky too. Maybe you could go to the movies with him. Find a way for him to vent his emotions like jogging, writing, drawing. I remember having so much angst at times and needing to get that out. Talking to friends was good for me but neither my son or my husband tend to do that. My son would listen to music. 

I think having a chat about maintaining his integrity through this is good. Being true to himself. Things can spiral out of hand after a breakup, especially online and via text. 

Lastly, if you have concerns about his wellbeing, maybe suggest he sees his GP and has a chat. Has a few sessions with a psychologist but also being there for him yourself makes such a difference t

I hope that helps.

Best wishes,

Birdwings

Highlighted
Active scribe
Kathleen_RO

Re: Heartbroken son

Message contains a hyperlink Message contains an image

Hi @Monique72 

Your son sounds like a really caring partner; I'm sorry that are both going through this - it must be really hard on him :yellow_heart:

Do you think there are any supports he might be open to accessing in the meantime? Do you think your son might consider some support like Kids Helpline or Headspace if he's feeling down or needs someone to talk to? 

We also have some articles on our website about developing confidence and positive mindsets if he'd be interested in taking a look.

Please keep us updated. We are here for you.