Need help now?

Help with daughter (moved post)

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Casual scribe
Dan2787

Hello, I won't go into details because I'm not 100% sure of all of them but the scenerio goes 16 year old depressed and high risk suicidal has run off with her 26 year old bf who is known for sleeping with young girls, parties and drugs. What avenues can I use to support her mother and her through this situation so that I can get her to a safe place? Police say that because she is 16 they can't remove her as she is old enough to make her own decisions. What approaches would be best. I don't feel that she is safe or will be honest about her safety which is a huge concern

Contributor
Nick-RO

Re: Help with daughter (moved post)

Message contains a hyperlink

Hi there @Dan2787 and welcome to the ReachOut forums.

Thank you so much for sharing this story and also for the support you are showing for both the mother and daughter through this.

The situation with the police must be really difficult at the moment and I was wondering if your local Police Youth Liaison Officer  is aware of what is happening?

If you are in New South Wales, your local police will have a YLO and you can call up and ask to speak with them – because of their experience dealing with young people it might be useful to make sure that they are aware of the situation and see if there is any way they can help out?

The other thing that you might like to consider is the ReachOut Parents coaching service.  It is a free over-the-phone service staffed by skilled health professionals that can help put together an action plan for how to deal with this situation and could provide some really helpful tactics for you.  Do you think that the mother might be open to something like this? 

You can find out more about the service by clicking on this link.

The other thing I wanted to ask you about is when you say that the teenager is depressed and high risk suicidal.  I was wondering what makes you say that and how this is being addressed?

Thanks again for getting in touch.