Need help now?

How do I tell my kid about why they can't see my parents

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Scribe
noimnotawook

Okay so my son isn't quite old enough to start asking questions like this but I'm concerned on what I should do when he asks about his grandparents. They are both drug addicted and are not going to be apart of his life and I don't know how to explain why he can see my wife's parents but not mine.
Highlighted
Contributor
Philippa-RO

Re: How do I tell my kid about why they can't see my parents

Welcome to the forums @noimnotawook and thanks for sharing with us.
I'm so sorry to hear of your parents' struggles - it seems like that must have been a painful experience for you, given that you have made the decision for them not to be a part of your son's life. I admire your goal of prioritising what you think is best for you and your family.

You know your circumstances and your son best - if someone had tried to explain your parents' challenges to you when you were your son's age - what do you think you would have wanted to hear? 

I'm not sure how old your son is, but sometimes I think it's best to take a staged approach with younger children, according to what they can understand, and adding details as they're able to understand more.

It's a tough topic to approach with children, but you sound very clear on what you need and I hope you're able to find the words that feel right for you.