Need help now?

I don't know what to do

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Super frequent scribe
Nervous
Solved!

I don't know what to do

My daughter is in great distress. Still suidial tonight! She is sleeping now. She tried to kill herself in October. I thought she has scared herself so much that she would not feel that way anymore. But tonight was the pits. Day six of antidepressants. She hates her life and sees no point in continuing. She seems very confused to me. One moment childlike the next, knowing too much for her age. I blame school for introducing the Internet. She is seeing psychologist weekly (except during xmas period). Feeling abandoned by professionals. Need to see GP for new script of antidepressants but they are on holidays and headspace chat line was busy so long i gave up.

Accepted Solutions
Super frequent scribe
Nervous
Solution

Re: I don't know what to

Please someone respond

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Super frequent scribe
Nervous

Re: I don't know what to do

Please someone rep
Super frequent scribe
Nervous

Please someone repssond
Super frequent scribe
Nervous
Solution

Please someone respond
Star contributor
TOM-RO

Hi @Nervous, sorry to hear you had a difficult night trying to manage your daughter's significant distress.  As you might have been advised, the early stages of starting anti-depressants can be a really difficult transition period.  The fact that your daughter's health professionals are on holidays is no doubt making this even more difficult for you to manage, so I am glad you have reached out for support on the forums.  You mentioned that your daughter was feeling suicidal last night, so I'm wondering how you went with keeping her safe?  I strongly encourage you to seek out online/telephone supports during this difficult period (such as Suicide Call Back Service, eHeadspace, and/or your local mental health triage team). 

Contributor
motherbear

@Nervous I'm so sorry to hear you are going through a crisis with your daughter . Please know that we are here to listen and support you . Christmas time is terrible for  getting professional support and  it's  often when things are at crisis point ! If you feel unable to cope any more and she is getting worse  stabilising please take her to emergency . They will admit her and you will have piece of mind knowing she is being kept safe and being monitored . She is very sick and may well need to be hospitalised . Medication can take up to 6 weeks to kick in , it's a tough transitional phase which must be exhausting for you !  Please take care of yourself as much as you can . Are there any friends or family you trust who can be with her sometimes to give you some respite ? You need to be able to recharge so you have the strength and energy to deal with this . It's a very tough time , well done for reaching out to us . You are doing a great job !  Thinking of you both at this awful time . 

Super frequent scribe
Nervous

THANKS TOM-RO

Middle of the night/early morning and I was freaking out.  My daughter is fine today.  She slept in the big bed with me last night.  Her mood swings are all over the place. We are seeing all of the relevant professionals.  We just have to make it thru the bumpy periods.

Super frequent scribe
Nervous

thanks Motherbear, I was very upset last night after seeing my daughter so distressed.  She slept with me last night and today she is smiling....  Yes, waiting for the med's to kick in and for the Professionals to return back to work.

I have not told my parents about my daughters problems, they are in their 80's and they would be terribly upset.

My daughter will not express her anguish with her Dad.  She only feels comfortable talking with me and just a little with her psychologist. 

I am going to see if I can have a massage next week, whilst my husband is not working so he can watch our daughter.

Contributor
motherbear

Good on you @Nervous ! So great to hear your daughter is smiling today ! It's something to be grateful for even if it's a small step . I think it's a terrific idea to go for a massage . You deserve some stress relief and to be pampered ! I'm so glad your husband is there to be a support too . Take care of yourself and best wishes to your family . 

Super star contributor
taokat

Hi @Nervous, I'm so sorry to hear that you guys had such a stressful night, but am so glad to hear your daughter is smiling today. My daughter always slept in my bed with me as well during those really tough times. It calmed her and she knew she was safe.

I'm sorry no-one was around for you in your time of need. Unfortunately the forums aren't monitored between 10pm and 9am at the moment, so I urge you to contact the Suicide Call back Service 1300 659-467, or Lifeline 13 11 14 if you are in crisis. They're available 24/7 so will be able to offer you support during the night.

Did you manage to talk to CAMHS at all? I know my daughter's counsellor will be back this coming Tuesday, so I'm hoping your local CAMHS will be as well. I'd suggest giving them a call on Tuesday. 

Things can often get worse before they get better when starting on antidepressants, but do hang in there, things will settle down again. I know I found it really scary seeing my daughter suicidal and I was quite panicked, but call one of those numbers, you don't need to go through it alone.