Need help now?

I’m a disabled mum

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Scribe
Mumofpreppy

I’m a disabled mum

Hello all, I’m struggling to find info about on-site learning for disabled parents. My husband is an essential worker and I am disabled. At the moment I have a doctors letter stating my preppy should be at school due to my health conditions as I have no support during this time of isolation. I’m worried now we are in stage four and everything is getting stricter the school will try and make me have my daughter at home which I won’t be to cope with in my condition without help. Does anyone know the rules and how to handle this? Is she classed as vulnerable?
Star contributor
Janine-RO

Re: I’m a disabled mum

Message contains a hyperlink

Hi @Mumofpreppy , 

That sounds like such a stressful situation for you and your family, I'm so sorry that you're in this situation. I came across this phone line on the Victoria Department of Education website that may be able to give you the most up to date advice:

The Department's coronavirus (COVID-19) hotline

Ask questions regarding coronavirus (COVID-19) and education settings by calling 1800 338 663,

Unfortunately I haven't been able to find a clear definition of which children exactly are classified as vulnerable either, but hopefully the hotline above will be able to give you a more specific answer. 

Has your school been able to give you any advice on this given the letter that you have from your doctor? 

I can imagine that this uncertainty must be really tough on top of what is already a very stressful situation, if you feel like you need some more support at the moment, beyond blue have a dedicated coronavirus mental health support service that you can access here. Thinking of you and your family, I hope the number above is able to give you some helpful information.