Need help now?

If your teenager is being bullied what help can their school or work provide?

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Super contributor
Ngaio-RO

Message contains a hyperlink

This month on Reach Out we are talking about bullying. It’s something that comes up quite a bit for parents, which is not surprising when you consider that 1 in 4 young people between 14 and 25 years old had experienced bullying in the last 12 months.

The highest number of incidents occur at school with the remaining number split evenly between online and work.

We recognise that the best way to deal with bullying is to tackle it quickly and head-on by speaking to somebody in a position to do something and seek a resolution. But that’s easier said than done.

Once schools or workplaces have been made aware of what’s happening, what can they do to resolve it? 

What have your experiences been with schools or employers when they've been told about the bullying? Good, bad, indifferent? Did it make things better or worse?

This amazing young woman was brave enough to share her story for Reach Out during our bullying campaign and she describes how telling the Principal of her school made things worse because the girls bullying her were punished. So they punished her in return. 

How does this compare with your story?

@Maggiemay @Jacew @seaglecc @Mitzi @CareBear @AnxiousMum @ChilliDawg @Elena

I'd love to hear what happened for you guys.

Founding member
Murgatroyd

Re: If your teenager is being bullied what help can their school or work provide?

Did anyone else watch Bullied on the ABC last night? Apart from being surprised by how well Ian Thorpe presented, I was very disturbed by how powerless the Dad seemed in the situation. It looked like the school wasn't helping and he had no support. I wish he'd known about ReachOut Parents.
Highlighted
Super contributor
Ngaio-RO

Re: If your teenager is being bullied what help can their school or work provide?

Message contains a hyperlink Message contains an image

Thanks for that @Murgatroyd it is definitely worth catching.

For thoise that missed it you can watch it here on ABCIview. Be warned, it's a tear jerker.

im not crying youre crying

Prolific scribe
taziness

Message contains a hyperlink

ABC's Bullying features are an excellent watch - Whilst I'm glad that it has 'exposed' what some children can go through, I was particularly interested in the bureaucratic process that was also highlighted. This to me was one of the biggest issues raised - alongside the need to better connect our children with each other and their own sense of empathy and empowerment.

In my own investigations into schools recently (as a result of lack of action from current state schools that my children are enroled in and on similar issues that affect our youth), I have learned of the significant differences between state and Catholic/Independent schools. Offering regular educational sessions for both parents and students on Bullying - Cyber or in school - is one of these. 

The latest of these is the STEM school established in partnership with Catholic Education. Visit the Australian Council of State Schools organisations for more on this (and possibly a post from me in future!).

It isn't up to schools anymore than it is up to the individual families. It is in the hands of Government funding, honoring the Gonksi agreement and empowering schools and their communities to provide better educational spaces for our children.

eyintas/Empowering Youth in Tasmania
Super contributor
Ngaio-RO

Thanks for the info @taziness

I'm looking forward to your new topic about STEM schools.