Need help now?

Inattentive ADHD

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Highlighted
Scribe
HockeyMom

Inattentive ADHD

Hi.
I have a 13 yr old boy who was diagnosed with ADHD 2 years ago. He is on the right medication which has made a world of difference in school, but lately I've noticed a change in him and wonder if he should have been diagnosed with inattentive ADHD (formerly ADD) instead. He shows a lot of signs indicating ADD, and there are diagnosis of both ADHD and ADD in the family.
At school things are a lot better but I've noticed he is having trouble in his sports and I don't know how to help him. Tobias, my kid, is a very eager hockey goalie! He has been one for the last four years and has finally moved up to a team where he can get the challenges he needs to move forward! The problem is that he seems to have a lot of trouble focusing both in practice (seem unattentive when coaches are talking, not really tuned in) and (worse!!) in games!! If there aren't alot of thing happening on his side of the ice he looses focus and isn't ready when he needs to be.
This is something he REALLY wants (being a goalie) and I wonder if you have any suggestions to what he can do to keep his focus whether it is in practice or in the quiet periods of a game?
Super contributor
Taylor-RO

Re: Inattentive ADHD

Hi @HockeyMom,

Thanks for sharing. That is great that medication has made a massive difference. It is so nice to hear that your son has such a passionate love for sport. Hockey sounds like a great way of keeping him active.

If you feel unsure about the diagnosis that your son has received, we recommend getting a second opinion or discussing this with your local practitioner. Talking to a psychologist can be highly beneficial too, as they can help you discover ways for your son to focus while playing hockey that is relevant to his needs. I was also wondering if you have talked to his coach about this and whether they have any suggestions? For example, he might benefit from shorter bouts of speech. There also might be strategies that he can use to keep his focus down the other end of the field while waiting for it to come down his side.