Parents/carers chat and connect: Coronavirus COVID-19 and Pandemic Fatigue

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Star contributor
Jess1-RO

Message contains a hyperlink Message contains an image

Let's support each other!

It’s been a big start to the year with lots of world news causing distress across the globe. It’s no surprise that seeing updates about the Coronavirus has been stressful for families, and leaving many wondering what they can do to support their communities to stay physically and mentally healthy. 

If you are feeling anxious about this virus, we want you to know that you don’t have to struggle in silence. Feel free to have a chat about it here with us and share how your family is coping. As always, we are here to listen and support you through tough times. 

Has Coronavirus been a topic of conversation in your household?

How have you had conversations about your virus with your children?

What are you doing as a family to look after your physical and emotional health during this time?

Do you have any tips for other parents who are worried about Coronavirus?

We will be updating this thread with more top tips, facts and resources you can access for the latest health information.

Where to find the facts and up to date health information?

We really encourage everyone to have a read through the facts from their national health and government departments. For Australian Parents, here's where you can find the latest health updates and facts:

-     Get all the information you need on the NSW Health site here. If you are from a state outside of NSW, refer to your state health department for updates and advice. 
-     If you’re feeling unwell and would like to check your symptoms you can do so here

-     Coronavirus health information line, call 1800 020 080 for people with questions regarding prevention and the spread of the coronavirus

-     Healthdirect helpline, call 1800 022 222 to speak to a registered nurse who can provide advice when you're not sure what to do — whether you should see a local GP, manage the condition at home, or go to an emergency department, available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week

-     This is a great info-graphic from the World Health Organisation on coping with the stress of a viral outbreak here (also seen below!)

UPDATE: JULY 2021

Hi Parents/Carers: 

We hope that people are travelling OK in these very strange times, especially if you're affected by the continuing lockdowns and restrictions in different parts of Australia. 

We are always here to chat about what's happening for you and your family, and we're also aware that sometimes, it's exhausting having to talk about COVID constantly! If you're feeling burned out, or fatigued, that's also really normal. Especially for parents and carers who may be juggling home schooling, working from home, or experiencing financial stress. 

If you're experiencing "pandemic fatigue", know that you're not alone. 

These resources are really helpful from the National Mental Health Commission, and if you're feeling like you're struggling, know that you don't need to go through it alone. 

We are also here to support you in any way we can - and it's also great to hear what's been helping you and your family, if you feel like sharing. 

How are you and your family coping? Has pandemic fatigue hit you? 

I know that I've been finding that focusing on things that are totally unrelated to covid helps me a lot - I've been doing a lot of random jobs around the house, cooking with my kids, and re-discovering old movies and TV shows that we can watch together as a family. It seems to help, especially if it also reminds us of memories of happier times. And cuddles on the couch also help a lot.

Priority distraction kino GIF on GIFER - by PeririmGIPHY's Most-Viewed GIFs of 2020. 2020… how do we even begin to describe… |  by GIPHY | Medium

Check out our community activities calendar here
Star contributor
Jess1-RO

Re: Let's Chat: Coronavirus COVID-19

Hi @CJ030,

I noticed you mentioned some concerns about kids and self isolation. I thought you might also be interested in this thread too. 

Have you had many conversations with your kids about what the virus is and what it means for your family?

Active scribe
ThatRedHeadChic

Does anyone have any examples on their daily routine for older teenagers now we all have to stay at home?

Casual scribe
Pammy62

My older teens are a lot more involved in household duties, preparing lists of needs and in food preparation. 

Casual scribe
Pammy62

Message contains a hyperlink

My youngest is stressed. We are trying to keep things as light as possible.  Found this video that he liked but there isn't much directed at kids that I can find https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhQ4KSRr3ak

Star contributor
TOM-RO

Message contains a hyperlink

Hey @Pammy62  - that's a cute video! Thanks so much for sharing Smiley Happy. I've noticed drawings of rainbows in the front of people's houses all around my area - either in their front window or on the footpath in chalk. Apparently it's a way to get children to spread hope and connect with others throughout this situation. You mention keeping things "light' at the moment - perhaps this might be a nice, light activity to do with your children?

See here and here for more info and ideas Smiley Happy

Star contributor
Jess1-RO

Hi @ThatRedHeadChic great question! With so much change, keeping some routine can be a helpful way of managing the stress of being at home.

@Pammy62 mentioned a few of the household routines their teens are involved in. Are your kids homeschooling at the moment? School holidays are still in place in some states in Australia, so I can imagine this would also pose some questions around routines. 

Would love to hear how you are both maintaining routine at home

Parent/Carer Community Champion
JAKGR8

Yep routine is good. We all get up and get dressed, talk about our plans for the day - work, school or home. Fortunately, my kids are fairly self motivated and know what their chores are. They don't have access to the internet during meal preparation, eating or cleaning up after times. So they come out and automatically do their jobs. Lots of little things like that. Youngest girl does school work in the dining room so she can be monitored but she is also closer to her dad there and she likes that.
Also the girls have chosen to have a media blackout on Covid 19. Our area is mildly affected and they trust we will tell them anything they have to know. The son devours all the stats each day but curiously that is his way of coping - having control.
JA
Casual scribe
CEOCWMFX

My kids are also doing same, even they are trying to make me comfortable in whatever we do. This is something we didn't expected, but COVID-19 Coronavirus circumstances make them understanding too.

Active scribe
Cocochque

Hi
It’s hard for older teens as they are mussing do much of their social interaction.
We get along well in our family so we do art sessions together, cook as a family and movie nights. Sometimes only the kids (mine are 17 and 13) will do activities together. They still keep up with their chores. We plan days they go out for walks or some type of exercise/activity to break from device time( remote learning) after school (we try for every second day).
Now I will be encouraging them to meet with a friend to go for a walk or ride as that’s allowed for 2 hours with another person.
Hope this helps a little. 🤗