Need help now?

My 13 year old granddaughter stays up very very late and then is late for school.

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

My 13 year old granddaughter stays up very very late and then is late for school.

Scribe
PB2591

My 13 year old granddaughter stays up late and as a result cannot get up early enough to get to school. If the internet is turned off she becomes very abusive  and throws things around, damages property etc. Her mother is not coping. She  oppositional defiant towards her mother and myself. As her mother has to work overnight shifts at least 2 times a week she has to stay with me. Her attitude is also affecting my mental well being. 

Prolific scribe
Iona_RO

Re: My 13 year old granddaughter stays up very very late and then is late for school.

Message contains a hyperlink

Hi @PB2591 

Thanks for reaching out, it sounds like your family are having a tough time at the moment so it's really great that you've taken that step to get some support.

You've mentioned that your granddaughter can be abusive when the internet is turned off, I'm wondering if you think that her starting puberty may have had an effect on her emotional regulation? Our psychologist recently talked about this here, you might like to have a read through. I can understand the stress this must cause, communicating with teenagers isn't always easy! We have some articles on this that you might like to look at as well. You can also give Parentline a call, they are a free support service for parents and carers.

You've mentioned that this is all having an effect on your own mental wellbeing as well, have you been able to talk to anyone about how you're feeling? Do you have any supports in place for yourself?