Need help now?

My 14 Year old son has cut himself off from everyone

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

My 14 Year old son has cut himself off from everyone

Casual scribe
SkiPatrol

Re: My 14 Year old son has cut himself off from everyone

Hello, how has your son been doing these days? I have a 15 year old son who is also going through this stage . He stays in his room . He doesn’t have any interests or friends. It’s hard to get him to go anywhere and do things with us.
Super contributor
Taylor-RO

Hi @SkiPatrol, thanks for sharing. I am sorry to hear that you are going through a similar thing. I am wondering if your son has ever shared how he is feeling? For example, is there a particular reason that he prefers to stay at home? Sometimes it can be hard to get direct answers out of teens but I thought I would just check Smiley Happy
Casual scribe
SkiPatrol

He is only interested in computer games. I always un-plug the WiFi so he won’t play all the time. He says he wants to make friends but everyone he has talked to , he has nothing in common with and it is awkward. There was a time when he did make 2 friends and he was regularly going skateboarding with them, but then he stopped talking to them . They would call for months asking him to go skateboarding but he turned them down every time. So now they don’t call any more. I have tried multiple times to encourage him to go hang out with them but he never wants to, he says he didn’t have anything in common with them. I recently joined him in counseling and that was a huge struggle to get him to do that.