Need help now?

My 15 year old daughter is in AAU

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Frequent scribe
Mbfwt

My daughter is 15, nearly 16, and has had anxiety & depression for the last 3 years and trialing various antidepressants for the last two. She self harms and has made 3 suicide attempts in the last 3 months. She is now in an Adolescent Acute Unit and came out last night for home leave but it was a disaster and we ended up taking her back early. I just feel so sick & empty at the moment, she keeps phoning but it’s best I stay away for a day or so. I’m heartbroken and need a shoulder to cry on. My friends are great but I need to communicate someone who is going through or been through what I’m going through 😔
Frequent scribe
Sally-RO

Re: My 15 year old daughter is in AAU

Hey there @Mbfwt, it sounds like you have been put through hell in being worried for your daughter. You did the right thing in taking her back so she is getting the best help/support from the professionals. I can see from what you've said that you are being pulled in two different directions in needing to look after her and also looking out for your well being as well. 

Feel free to keep in touch and using the forum here as much as you need. Have you thought about speaking over the phone to Suicide Call Back Service (they will happily talk you through the issues that are coming up in being a carer/parent to someone who is having suicidal thoughts and attempts), Kids Helpline or Parentline (what state are you in?)?

Frequent scribe
Mbfwt

Thank you so much @Sally-RO I’ll certainly be contacting Suicide Call Back Service. I’m feeling a tad better pouring it out to my parents overseas. They are feeling for me as I am feeling for my girl
Frequent scribe
Mbfwt

Thank you @Sally-RO it’s so good to feel there is someone out there to reach out to. I’ve just spoken to my parents overseas and broke down. I’m feeling the pain for my daughter and they are feeling the pain for me. She is certainly in the right place. Thanks for letting me know about SCS - I will certainly be contacting them. Thanks again 🙏
Frequent scribe
Sally-RO

Touch base if you need too @Mbfwt

Super star contributor
taokat

Hi @Mbfwt, I just wanted to check in and see how you're feeling. 

You've had such a tough run with your daughter and I can imagine how distressed you are. With your daughter in a safe place I do think a break for you is essential. It will enable you to put a bit more fuel in the tank to keep you going in the longer term. 

Do you feel that she hasn't found the right medication yet? Hopefully that is something they can tweak in the AAC. It took us a couple of years to find the right mix of medications and psychological help. 

I hear your pain and hope you've been able to grieve and be kind to yourself. 

Frequent scribe
Mbfwt

Thank you @taokat it sounds like you have been through this too.  It has certainly been a very trying time but we are starting to see some improvement which is positive.  The right medication/combination has not been found yet but they changed her night meds yesterday and speaking to her this morning she seems to be better - but time will tell.  She is certainly in the right place and the doctors and nurses who work in AAU's should be highly commended for a great job they do.

Super star contributor
taokat

That's so great you're seeing some improvements @Mbfwt. The road's never linear though is it?! Hopefully the new nights meds will be the right fit. It can take time for them to give the lasting desired effect, and sometimes things can go backwards before they really improve. But as you so rightly say, time will tell, and hopefully this will be the right one for your daughter. 

These wonderful nurses are what have inspired my daughter to study nursing. The drs and nurses are a very special breed of amazing!