Need help now?

My 15 year old son refused to go to school

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

My 15 year old son refused to go to school

Active scribe
KIrstyH

Re: My 15 year old son refused to go to school

My son has his interview today. He was very nervous and shy but he asked that I leave the room while he did his PowerPoint presentation and they thought it was a great presentation and showed initiative and he was offered a place at the school to begin next year in year 10. They only start at that school from year 10. I had some happy tears as he has had such a rough couple of years recovering from a traumatic incident which led to self harm, a suicide attempt, ongoing depression and anxiety.

Now we just have to get through the remainder of year 9 but with holidays in between and some work experience he has planned in a nursing home (he wants to do nursing post school) there’s not that actually that many schools weeks left and at least he knows that it isn’t forever and he has the pot of food waiting at the end
Prolific scribe
Iona_RO

Hi @KIrstyH 

That's fantastic news! So great to hear he did so well, you must be feeling extremely proud Smiley Happy

I imagine he'll find some more confidence after that achievement and having something to look forward to will help him to look to the future again. Well done for supporting him through this!

Casual scribe
Vbahio

Message contains a hyperlink

@MAYC-RO wrote:

Hi @KIrstyH 

It's great that he was able to find a school he likes and was able to get another interview.

Are you able to do some interview practice with him to help him prepare?

If he recalls any of the previous questions they asked him, that may be a good starting point to help him expand on his thoughts and what he would like to say.

I'm not sure if this applies to him, but here is an article about how to stop being nervous, which may also help him to feel prepared for the interview Smiley Happy Best of luck and keep us posted as to how it goes!

I can give you some general tips on interview preparation.

1. Research the company: Before the interview, make sure you research the company and understand their mission, values, and products/services they offer.

2. Review the job description: Make sure you have a clear understanding of the job requirements and the skills and experience that are necessary for the role.

3. Prepare responses to common interview questions: There are many common interview questions that you can prepare for, such as "Tell me about yourself," "What are your strengths/weaknesses," and "Why do you want this job?" Practice your responses to these questions and think about how you can showcase your skills and experience.