Need help now?

My 17 yr old is moving back home with his 16 yr old girlfriend

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Casual scribe
Mcath

My 17 yr old son is going out with a 15 yr old. She turns 16 in 1 week.
Both of them moving in with me, single mum with his sister who is about to turn 14.
Both my son and her have mental health problems.
It’s flipping me out
Prolific scribe
Chloe-RO

Re: My 17 yr old is moving back home with his 16 yr old girlfriend

Hey there @Mcath ,

Sounds like a stressful time. Do either your son or his girlfriend go to school?

Is your son's girlfriend's family aware of the arrangements?

Seeing it is your home, it is important you feel comfortable with what is about to happen. Have you sat down with both and talked to them about other alternatives? e.g. that she can visit but maybe not move in yet?

OR, if she is definitely moving in, are there boundaries and house rules she will need to follow? e.g. time to be at home, helping with cleaning, cooking etc.

This is a huge step for all parties involved. In saying that, how does the 14 year old feel about it?

We're wondering if some of this questions can be answered before making a decision?

Casual scribe
Mcath

Thanks for reading my post

I emailed the school where they both go and hopefully get a report done to FACS.
I am waiting to speak to my psychologist on the matter.
I am listening to my 13 yr old

I am not rushing

So much pressure.

Ugh 😩
Prolific scribe
Iona_RO

Hi @Mcath 

Thanks for updating us, it's really great to see you taking all the steps to look after them and yourself. It's not easy to do, especially when you're feeling under pressure, but I hope you are able to acknowledge how much you've been able to do for everyone. Well done!

Sounds like contacting the school is a good move and getting their support will be a big help, alongside FACS. 

Also really good to see that you are looking after yourself through this and taking some time to talk to your psychologist too. Do you have any friends/family you can chat to as well?

Casual scribe
Mcath

I have some wonderful friends. Who have good advice.
Thanks 😊 so much for your understanding and advice