Need help now?

My 19 year old son is struggling mentally but he wont access help how else can i help

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

My 19 year old son is struggling mentally but he wont access help how else can i help

Scribe
Joeys_Mum

My 19 year old son is struggling mentally but he wont access help how else can i help?

Super star contributor
taokat

Re: My 19 year old son is struggling mentally but he wont access help how else can i help

Hi @Joeys_Mum, welcome to the forum. 

That must be so difficult seeing your son having some problems but being unwilling to get professional support.

Do you know his reasons for not wanting any help? 

Casual scribe
Barbara82

Re: My 19 year old son is struggling mentally but he wont access help how else can i help

My daughter is the same. She has told me its about finding the right person to get help from. It's such a hard process to find someone they like and can talk to. I can't offer any help but please know you are not alone
Highlighted
Prolific scribe
Chalke5

Hi @Joeys_Mum, I too have a 19 year old son struggling mentally and he will not seek help.  Presently I cook for him and clean his room.  That's about it.  He does his own washing, he has no friends and spends all his time in his room.  We are planning a Christmas holiday and he has showed an interest in coming along and the family are hopeful this will happen.  I feel lost and not sure were this is headed but have developed much patience.  This is a tricky age because they are adults and parents have lost control.  I see myself as a carer for now and am grateful that I can still support him.