Need help now?

My niece 15 years old has depression and anxiety. She does not want help.How can I help her?

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

My niece 15 years old has depression and anxiety. She does not want help.How can I help her?

Scribe
Listencorazon

My niece is getting verbally abusing  with her mom. She spent most of her time in her room . She does not want to eat and said she has an eating disorder because her mom used to oblige her to eat. She said  that her mom is a bad mother that she has not respect for her and that she does not recognize her as a mom. Sadly, she talks so bad to my my sister, there is not respect no boundaries. She is seeing a therapist in her school and also a family therapist with her mom there is the time she said what bothers her and everything she blame my sister for. My sister is devastated. I live in United States. And brought them from Venezuela about 6 years ago. My niece did very well en school picked up the English language very fast. My sister refused to learn English , she has been also so depressed because  she did not want to be in this country. My niece refuses to translate for her. My niece told me. About 3 years ago that she was bully in elementary school and never told anybody. Then she went to HS and did fine but got a scholarship from a very expensive French HS went there and felt left out because out the classrooms her classmate spoke in French so my niece hated the school. This year she went back to the public school but she is been so depress and angry,with all her family. They live with a great friend that helps then in everything , he support them. My niece lost her dad when she was 8 years old so my friend felt so bad about it that he has giving her anything she wanted, laptops, cel phone everything . Now she is getting so disrespectful toward him too. The situation is unbearable but I believe it has to be a way to help her and my sister. Please any advise , idea let me know.

Contributor
Sophia-RO

Re: My niece 15 years old has depression and anxiety. She does not want help.How can I help her?

Message contains a hyperlink

Hi @Listencorazon , I am sorry to hear about what you and your family have been going through. It sounds like things have been really tough, so it is great that you are reaching out for support and advice on how to help. It sounds like you care a lot about your niece and her mother and want to help them through this. It also sounds like you are close with your niece as she is open to discussing different things with you. 

Sometimes it can be helpful to talk with others about what we are going through. There are lots of services that offer telephone counselling services, some of which are free. You might find talking with a counsellor about what you are going through to be quite helpful. I noticed that you are located in the USA and we are an Australian service, so we won't be able to provide you with links to local services. Although, I have had a look online and found some parenting/family helplines that you might find to be helpful. Here is a link to one and here is another one. I have also found a helpline for youth that your niece might be able to use if she wants to talk with someone too. Here is a link to it.

Hope that helps!