Need help now?

My son think he has low self esteem

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Scribe
WorryWartMe

Hi! I am new here. Just found this page after hearing from my 13 year old son that he is sometimes lonely in school. We already agreed before that whatever he has in mind and whatever his feelings are, he can always tell me and i that i am always here to listen. He is a kind, funny, smart and honest kid, though i feel he is introvert in some way. There are times he wanted to spend his time alone. He does approach other kids in school but he thought they do not approach him that much. He doesn't have any one to be considered as constant friend or companion in school. This makes him lonely and starting to think that maybe there is something wrong about him. I am now worried and i want to help him not to develop any negative thoughts about himself. I want him to be confident about himself and be happy.
Contributor
Sophia-RO

Re: My son think he has low self esteem

Message contains a hyperlink

Hello @WorryWartMe, sorry to hear that your son has been having some issues with low self esteem lately. That must be a really challenging situation for both him and yourself. It sounds like you have been really been really supportive of your son and his needs so far, which is awesome. I can understand your desire to see your son be happy. We have some articles around managing self esteem that you might find to be helpful. Here is one and here is another one. I hope that you find them to be informative and that your son feels confident and happy again Smiley Happy

Scribe
JT1976

Hi does the school have councillors or mentors you could speak to. My son had similar issues and I found it useful to have someone within the school that I could speak to about it and that could provide him with some support too. Good luck.
Scribe
Laurs78

I can so relate my son to though he is 15 told me he doesn't have many friends. I think the school may need to encourage friendships and there should be a friendship group that the school has a buddy system and each buddy has to look out for each other. Sorry I don't know the right advice just wanted to know you're son isn't alone my son is in a similar position.
Highlighted
Contributor
Philippa-RO

Message contains a hyperlink

Welcome to the forums @Laurs78 - it's great to have you here.

I'm really sorry to hear your son struggles with making friends, that must be really hard for him and worrying for you. 
We have some resources on our website about friendships that might be worth a look if you're interested.

Also, please feel free to start a new thread where you can discuss your concerns some more if you'd like to - we're here for you. 
I really like your ideas about a buddy system in schools - it would be so helpful if there were some more practical ways to support young people with making friends. 

Active scribe
Sadforson

I understand, my son is struggling with friends at the moment because they are dabbling with drugs and alcohol, he isn’t interested and will not be pressured, this is a hard time for teenagers and often friendships move and change. I hope both our sons find people they deserve and respect them. I remember going through similar at that age, it’s only temporary and they will come out much better afterwards.☺️