Need help now?

My teenage daughter lacks motivation

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

My teenage daughter lacks motivation

Star contributor
Janine-RO

Re: My teenage daughter lacks motivation

@ELLEJAY1982  I hear you with the challenges finding time for yourself - I also have two younger children, and work part time - I'm glad that the gym gives you a bit of alone time Smiley Happy

It can be really easy to put yourself last as a parent, I sometimes have to remind myself of the analogy of the oxygen mask when a plane is going down - that we sometimes have to put our own masks on before we can help anyone else Heart 

Scribe
bloomer

Message contains a hyperlink

Hi! I totally understand how that can be difficult for the both of you. She's probably anxious about her lack of motivation as well. Communicate with her gently and make her feel that you're always there to support her with her decisions. Try to get to the bottom of it. Is she afraid of something? Does she really love what she's currently doing? If you want to try to a different approach, you can also sit down and watch inspirational or motivational movies with her. This page may give you some ideas on good motivational movies to watch with her.

Star contributor
Janine-RO

What a fabulous resource @bloomer , thank you so much for sharing that. I love the idea of watching some of these movies with a teen who's having a tough time, do you find this is something that has worked for you? Do you have any favourites that you can recommend? 

Star contributor
Jess1-RO

Message contains a hyperlink

Hi @ELLEJAY1982,

Just reading back through your posts last month, I wanted to link you a response from one of our Child and Family Professionals last week talking about supporting a teen with employment.

How is your daughter going this month? Sending our wishes your way!

Check out our community activities calendar here