Need help now?

My teenage kids blocked me and don’t talk to me and always try to avoid meet us at home

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

My teenage kids blocked me and don’t talk to me and always try to avoid meet us at home

Scribe
Pandan

I need someone give me ideas how to treat my teenage
Highlighted
Super frequent scribe
Dem--RO

Re: My teenage kids blocked me and don’t talk to me and always try to avoid meet us at home

Message contains a hyperlink

Hi @Pandan and welcome to the Parents Forum Heart

I'm incredibly sorry that you are having to deal with this. I can understand that this would be very frustrating and concerning for you.

Has something happened recently that may have caused this, or has this come about as your kids have moved into their teenage years?

As a starting point, I'll include some articles about supportive parenting and teenagers and effective communication and teenagers.

You also have the option to call and speak with someone through Parentline, which is an an anonymous counselling and support service.

Can I ask if you're able to take some time for yourself? Like going for a walk or doing something relaxing, to help manage how stressful all this must be for you.

Parent/Carer Community Champion
Birdwings

Re: My teenage kids blocked me and don’t talk to me and always try to avoid meet us at home

Hi Pandan,

Sorry to hear about this difficult situation with your kids. I wanted to acknowledge your pain and the difficulties you're experiencing and that some stranger out there cares about you and what you're going through. All I can suggest is to start really small trying to connect. When my daughter goes quiet, I tend to send her a text and possibly something a bit funny. That generally helps. HOwever, I have friends in your situation and that's tough. Do you have any idea how this has come about? You don't need to disclose here, but that would be a possible starting point. 

Good luck and I agree with getting some self-care and maybe having a coffee with a good friend or family member and connecting with them. 

Best wishes,

Birdwings