Need help now?

Query - Health related

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Casual scribe
Ilovemykids4

Query - Health related

Hi, just wondering if this reach out site involves health related topics for children? I'm wanting a bit of advice as a mother and seeking any information from other parents who may of experienced the same situation with their child/ children?.

Star contributor
TOM-RO

Re: Query - Health related

Hi Ilovemykids4, thanks for posting on ReachOut forums tonight. Reachout primarily provides resources related to mental health, however, what type of health concerns are you referring too? we might be able to point you in the right direction. 
Parent/Carer Community Champion
Birdwings

Message contains a hyperlink

Hi Ilovemykids4,

Welcome to the forum. I thought I'd touch base as I have ongoing chronic health issues and my daughter's just spent some time in hospital. So, while I don't have professional training I might be able to help or point you somewhere that can. I've personally found support groups aligned with the condition are very helpful as they provide a lot the background lived information, the doctors may not provide. A few cautions there, however. The people who tend to be the long termers tend to have a more severe variation of the condition hence why they're still there. You can also get some zealots who only think of the condition and don't lead a balanced life. Some groups tend to be more upbeat that others. However, I've found they help me feel les alone. My conditions are rare and it's been o wonderful t find people like me, and not just because we have the same condition but our lives might also be quite similar and we have a lot in common. 

I hope that helps.

Best wishes,

Birdwings

Casual scribe
Ilovemykids4

Hi Birdwings,

Thank you for your time in giving me some information and sharing your story, I've been trying to find support groups for my son who was recently diagnosed with severe SUFE - he had a major slip to his left hip after a delayed diagnosis and misdiagnosis of his condition, he's had his first operation but unfortunately has been diagnosed with a vascular necrosis and will most likely suffer with arthritis and need many more procedures along the way and have one or more THR (Total hip replacements) - I understand this is a site for mental health issues, but I guess it has caused problems as such for my son who is currently disabled and is not able to be the active kid he was has caused a lot of upset for him - I wanted to get any information regarding my sons condition as we are new and doctors are very brief, like you've explained to me that having people in the world who are going through the same situations and can relate can be uplifting.

Thanks for listening.

Ilovemykids4
Frequent scribe
Emily-RO

Hi @Ilovemykids4

Thank you for sharing with us. I'm sorry to hear that your son and you are going through a hard time right now.

You're definitely right that mental health and physical health are linked. It's great that you're here and looking for support for you and your son.

I hope that by being here, you know that you are not alone. Thank you again for sharing.